Salami Penne Pasta Bake
If you want a pizza style pasta bake look no further! This recipe is saucy, creamy, packed with Italian seasoning and flavors, loaded with salami and pepperoni and tucked in with some melty mozzarella. This came about when I bought a package of salami on a whim, and then they just sort of sat in the drawer sad and alone and in need of purpose.
Combined with some tender penne pasta, a handful of other ingredients, and seasonings and you'll have an all-in-one casserole dish that pairs well with a crisp garden salad and / or maybe some toasted garlic bread for a complete and hearty meal. You can mix and match your favorite "pizza style" ingredients in this one - I wanted to add mushrooms but left them out since my daughter isn't a fan.
Salami Penne Pasta Bake adapted from Food
2 TBS olive oil, divided
salt and pepper, to taste
1 lb box penne pasta
1 large onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 TBS minced garlic (jarred)
10-oz salami, diced
3-oz mini pepperoni
2 tsp garlic powder
1 TBS Italian Seasoning
1 TBS dried basil
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 15-oz can stewed Italian tomatoes
2 24-oz cans spaghetti sauce (I used herb & garlic seasoned)
1 can large olives (drained weight 6-oz), sliced in half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add 1 TBS of the oil, boil the penne just to al dente (about 10 minutes), drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 TBS of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet and saute the diced bell pepper and onion together over medium to medium-high heat, sprinkling with salt and pepper during cooking. Saute until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add in the minced jarred garlic and cook 1-2 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl combine the: salami, pepperoni, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, basil, sour cream, shredded Parmesan, 1 cup of shredded mozzarella, tomato paste, stewed tomatoes, olives, and the spaghetti sauce. Stir gently to combine.
- Add the drained pasta, when cooked, and the sauteed bell pepper and onion mixture. Gently stir all of this together.
- Pour combined mixture into prepped 9x13 baking dish (it will be very full)! Sprinkle remaining mozzarella gently over top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes, until well heated through and cheese has fully melted.