Nacho Dogs with Homemade Cheese Sauce
This is a random recipe that came about when looking at a few odds and ends in the refrigerator and trying to figure out how to use them up. My daughter has a habit of asking for hot dogs, eating one or two of them and then ignoring them. No one else really eats hot dogs, unless I cook them up into something or do something "special" with them. I stumbled across a recipe for "nacho dogs" and it got the wheels turning. Could I used what I had to make a good cheese sauce and go from there? Why yes, yes I could!
I used this cheese sauce to make a gorgeous pan of nachos as well - but that's for another day! Today it was featured on some grilled hot dogs with toasted buns and topped with crushed chips and a sprinkling of fresh diced avocado and tomatoes - my family loved these and I those leftover hot dogs and buns disappeared super fast!
Homemade Cheese Sauce
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 12-oz can evaporated milk
1 10-oz can diced tomatoes with chilies
8-oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/16 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and allow flour to cook for about a minute.
- Whisk in the evaporated milk until roux is smooth and bring to a simmer, it will begin to thicken. Stir in the cheese and allow cheese to melt until smooth.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and all remaining seasoning ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Taste, adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve immediately, sauce will thicken as it stands - thin with additional milk or a little broth if it becomes too thick.
makes 1 hot dog
1 hot dog
toppings: homemade cheese sauce (above), diced tomatoes, diced avocado, crushed tortilla chips, etc.
- Grill the hot dog(s) as desired (I used my Cuisinart Griddler), and toast the bun(s) in the oven for about 5-8 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Assemble by placing grilled hot dog on toasted bun, and drizzle with cheese sauce, add a good amount of crunchy crushed tortilla chips, and top with a sprinkling of diced tomatoes and avocado (or other favorite "nacho" toppings as preferred)!