Ohh this is such a good meatloaf recipe!! I haven't had a meatloaf recipe that I loved quite so much in a very long time. I generally like pretty much all meatloaf recipes that are saucy and moist, but this one is a whole new level of flavor and moisture. Adding that crushed pineapple into the meat added incredible flavor, moisture, and a touch of sweetness. It was just delicious!
I cannot wait to make this one again! It was definitely the star of the show, and very quickly got big thumbs up from everyone in the house. We served this up with some simple steamed green beans for a tasty and filling meal.
The sauce on top is absolutely the icing on the cake - the touch of sweetness complements the pineapple in the meat mixture beautifully!
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 20-oz can crushed pineapple, drained well (juice reserved)
1 cup bread crumbs
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
For the Sauce
1/2 cup pineapple juice
2/3 cup ketchup
2/3 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl and mix together until well incorporated, by hand. Set aside to allow the bread crumbs to soften for about 10 minutes.
- Scrape mixture into a 9x5 loaf pan and gently smooth the mixture out.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce by mixing the reserved pineapple juice (1/2 cup) with the ketchup and brown sugar.
- When the meatloaf has baked (should be 160 degrees internally, and set), pour the sauce over the top, allowing sauce to drip down around the sides as well. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Rest about 10 minutes before removing from loaf pan, slicing, and serving.