Baked Plantains


I looooovveee fried plantains. I can count on 1 hand (maybe 2) the number of times I've eaten plantains in my life, but they are such a unique and tasty treat! I picked some up at our farmer's market not too long ago, and we opted to try a baked version (because I really, really, really don't like frying things!) and they were the perfect side dish with some Jamaican Jerk spiced chicken legs and cornbread.


These won't get super crispy on a silpat - they might get a little bit crispier with just parchment - but they developed a lovely dark crust and were perfectly tender. They were SO good, I may have eaten my fair share of them "taste testing" straight out of the oven, well before dinner time!


Baked Plantains

Ingredients
3 ripe plantains (dark yellow with black spots)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees, and line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
  2. Slice plantains into evenly sized rounds and arrange on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, tossing / flipping gently to coat both sides.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes; flip and bake an additional 10 - or until tender and starting to darken around the edges.
  4. Serve warm or room temperature as a wonderful side dish or snack!

Recipe from A Spicy Perspective

Comments

Popular Posts