Chunky Beef and Vegetable Soup for #SoupSaturdaySwappers
Welcome to the September 2020 Soup Saturday Swappers event led by Wendy of A Day in the Life on Farm! Are you interested in joining this great group of Soup Swappers? Request to join our Facebook group here.
This month I invited everyone to share a beef soup or stew - no restrictions other than using beef! I may have been inspired by the fact that recently we invested in a local beef share which was pretty exciting for me. This is the first time I've done that - and my oh my, is my freezer stocked at the moment with some beautiful local grass fed beef.
See all of our delicious Beef Soups and Stew Recipes!
- Beef & Vegetable Stew by Sneha's Recipe
- Beef Tongue Stew by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chunky Beef and Vegetable Soup by Making Miracles
- Feijoada To Delight a Carnivore by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Ground Beef and Butternut Squash Soup by Sid's Sea Palm Cooking
- Guinness Beef Stew by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Nikujaga - Japanese Beef Stew by Pandemonium Noshery
- One Pot Frozen Vegetable Ground Beef Stew by Faith Hope Love & Luck
- Pantry Beef Vegetable Soup by Palatable Pastime
This recipe screams fall and comfort food to me - a rich, hearty, tomato based broth and just loaded with tender vegetables and beef. It was a delicious meal and was largely hands off which always makes me happy! Brown a few ingredients, then just let it simmer away on the stove until everything is super tender and has blended together into a hearty, delicious, and cozy meal. Serve with some bread to sop up the broth if desired - but it's certainly hearty enough on it's own not to need anything else. It reheats well, too!
Chunky Beef and Vegetable Soup
1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend (I used Mrs. Dash garlic and herb blend)
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 large carrots, peeled and diced
1 large onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, diced
1 Tablespoon minced garlic (jarred)
1 cup red wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
4 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Heat 1 TBS of the oil in a large nonstick soup pot and brown the first half of the meat, seasoning with about half of the salt and pepper during browning. Remove to a bowl and heat the next TBS of oil, and repeat steps with remaining meat, salt, and pepper.
- Add the second batch of meat to the bowl with the other meat, and add a little more oil to the pot if needed to brown the carrots, onion, and bell pepper. Once vegetables are lightly browned, add in the garlic and cook 1 more minute, until fragrant. Add back in the beef, and any accumulated juices, along with all remaining ingredients except for the potatoes.
- Bring to a low simmer, cover and cook about 2 hours until beef is tender and soup has reduced to a stew consistency. Add additional broth / wine if you feel it has reduced too much at this point.
- Add in the chopped potatoes and simmer another 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.
- Serve warm with a chunk of crusty bread if desired.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home