Cheesy Slow Cooked Corn for #ImprovCookingChallenge
For September's #ImprovCookingChallenge we were given the ingredients of Corn and Cheese to combine in a recipe. As usual, the options were endless but I happened to have some sliced american cheese in my refrigerator (which pretty much never happens, but I'd had a gooey grilled cheese craving and wanted the plastic wrapped stuff for it!) so when I stumbled across this recipe I thought it was the perfect recipe to test out.
Find our group on Facebook if you're interested in joining in the fun; Nicole from Cookaholic Wife hosts our group!
This is a sticky, cheesy, gooey side dish with a small ingredient list and is almost completely hands off. I LOVE recipes like this! Set it, forget it, stir it a time or two and while your main protein is cooking you're not managing a second item on the stove or in the oven - it's just doing it's thing off to the side. You can certainly opt for Velveeta, or non "plastic" cheese (as I like to call Velveeta and american cheese slices) if you'd like - I'll have to give that a try later and see how that works. The american cheese definitely adds to the sticky and velvety texture of this dish; the sauce clings perfectly to the tender veggies.
September Improv Cooking Challenge: Corn and Cheese
- Colombian Mazorca Desgranada by Pandemonium Noshery
- Cheesy Slow Cooked Corn and Mixed Vegetables by Making Miracles
- Chili Macaroni and Cheddar Bake by Palatable Pastime
- Savory Corn Cheesecake by Sid's Sea Palm Cooking
- Baked Corn Cheese Sandwich by Sneha's Recipe
- Corn Macaroni and Cheese Casserole by Cookaholic Wife
- Korean Corn Cheese by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Cheesy Slow Cooked Corn
2 12-oz bags frozen mixed vegetables
3 ears of corn, corn kernels cut off the cob
1/4 cup butter
8-oz cream cheese
3 TBS half and half
6 slices American cheese
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker set to low heat for 2 hours, stir to ensure ingredients are blended, then continue cooking 1 - 2 hours more until ingredients are cooked through, and cheese has fully melted.
Love when you don't have to worry about one more pot on the stove as you're cooking.ReplyDelete
Yum, Yum. makes a delicious and one pot meal..soup.ReplyDelete