Cheesy Slow Cooked Corn for #ImprovCookingChallenge
For September's #ImprovCookingChallenge we were given the ingredients of Corn and Cheese to combine in a recipe. As usual, the options were endless but I happened to have some sliced american cheese in my refrigerator (which pretty much never happens, but I'd had a gooey grilled cheese craving and wanted the plastic wrapped stuff for it!) so when I stumbled across this recipe I thought it was the perfect recipe to test out.
Find our group on Facebook if you're interested in joining in the fun; Nicole from Cookaholic Wife hosts our group!
This is a sticky, cheesy, gooey side dish with a small ingredient list and is almost completely hands off. I LOVE recipes like this! Set it, forget it, stir it a time or two and while your main protein is cooking you're not managing a second item on the stove or in the oven - it's just doing it's thing off to the side. You can certainly opt for Velveeta, or non "plastic" cheese (as I like to call Velveeta and american cheese slices) if you'd like - I'll have to give that a try later and see how that works. The american cheese definitely adds to the sticky and velvety texture of this dish; the sauce clings perfectly to the tender veggies.
September Improv Cooking Challenge: Corn and Cheese
- Colombian Mazorca Desgranada by Pandemonium Noshery
- Cheesy Slow Cooked Corn and Mixed Vegetables by Making Miracles
- Chili Macaroni and Cheddar Bake by Palatable Pastime
- Savory Corn Cheesecake by Sid's Sea Palm Cooking
- Baked Corn Cheese Sandwich by Sneha's Recipe
- Corn Macaroni and Cheese Casserole by Cookaholic Wife
- Korean Corn Cheese by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Cheesy Slow Cooked Corn
2 12-oz bags frozen mixed vegetables
3 ears of corn, corn kernels cut off the cob
1/4 cup butter
8-oz cream cheese
3 TBS half and half
6 slices American cheese
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker set to low heat for 2 hours, stir to ensure ingredients are blended, then continue cooking 1 - 2 hours more until ingredients are cooked through, and cheese has fully melted.