Rhubarb Strawberry Crunch
During Shelter in Place, we have done a lot more baking than our usual - and if you have spent any time on my blog you probably know I bake a fair amount already! I've had cravings for various flavors - one that came across my mind was a taste of childhood. I remember my Nana making yummy strawberry and rhubarb pies when we would visit them. I may have had rhubarb at my aunt Bobbi's house a time or two as well during childhood. I don't think my mom ever baked with it, and this is the very first time I have - but I put some on my Kroger pick up list and they were able to include it so I had 2 stalks to play with!
I thought about making a pie - but I love, love crumble recipes! There's just something about that buttery, crunchy, oat topping that feels so cozy and comforting to me. So I did a quick search and when I stumbled across this recipe I knew I had to give it a try. And we're all so glad I did! It didn't last long in my house at all. Warm or cold, this was a deliciously sweet and slightly tart treat that we really enjoyed. I will have to make sure to remember rhubarb a little more often in the future.
Rhubarb Strawberry Crunch from Michelle Davis on AllRecipes
3/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 16-oz container sliced fresh strawberries
4 cups diced rhubarb (2 large stalks)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced fruit with the 3/4 cup sugar and 3 TBS all purpose flour to combine, spread prepped fruit in the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and oats. Cut in the 1-cup of butter with a pastry cutter to blend into mixture until well distributed. Spread topping over the prepped fruit in the baking dish evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, until topping is browned and lightly crisped, and mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Allow to cool for about 15-20 minutes to set before cutting in.
Serving suggestion: Serve warm with vanilla ice cream!