Rhubarb Strawberry Crunch


During Shelter in Place, we have done a lot more baking than our usual - and if you have spent any time on my blog you probably know I bake a fair amount already! I've had cravings for various flavors - one that came across my mind was a taste of childhood. I remember my Nana making yummy strawberry and rhubarb pies when we would visit them. I may have had rhubarb at my aunt Bobbi's house a time or two as well during childhood. I don't think my mom ever baked with it, and this is the very first time I have - but I put some on my Kroger pick up list and they were able to include it so I had 2 stalks to play with!


I thought about making a pie - but I love, love crumble recipes! There's just something about that buttery, crunchy, oat topping that feels so cozy and comforting to me. So I did a quick search and when I stumbled across this recipe I knew I had to give it a try. And we're all so glad I did! It didn't last long in my house at all. Warm or cold, this was a deliciously sweet and slightly tart treat that we really enjoyed. I will have to make sure to remember rhubarb a little more often in the future.


Rhubarb Strawberry Crunch from Michelle Davis on AllRecipes

Ingredients
3/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 16-oz container sliced fresh strawberries
4 cups diced rhubarb (2 large stalks)

Topping
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup rolled oats

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, toss the sliced fruit with the 3/4 cup sugar and 3 TBS all purpose flour to combine, spread prepped fruit in the baking dish.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and oats. Cut in the 1-cup of butter with a pastry cutter to blend into mixture until well distributed. Spread topping over the prepped fruit in the baking dish evenly.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, until topping is browned and lightly crisped, and mixture is thick and bubbly.
  5. Allow to cool for about 15-20 minutes to set before cutting in. 
Serving suggestion: Serve warm with vanilla ice cream! 

Comments

Popular Posts