#FoodieExtravaganzaParty ~ Dill Pickle Grilled Cheese Sandwich


Foodie Extravaganza is where we celebrate obscure food holidays by cooking and baking together with the same ingredient or theme each month.

Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you're a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board!

Camilla from Culinary Adventures with Camilla said: "International Pickles Week is the third week in May. Let's share your favorite recipes for making pickles, using pickles, etc. Lacto-fermented. Quick-pickled. It's all fair game!"


I adore dill pickles! I made these Refrigerator Garlic Dill Pickles before - that was my first experience making homemade pickles and they were so good! I love adding pickles to sandwiches, I have a weird childhood favorite of strawberry yogurt with a whole dill pickle which I still get cravings for every now and then, and in my book a sandwich isn't complete without a thick layer of them! We keep dill pickle juice in the refrigerator for cramps too - which is a whole different story - but my love of dill pickles keeps us well stocked. I know you can make copycat Chick Fil A chicken with a dill pickle soak on chicken too - which I haven't tried yet, but it's on my list!

So, this sandwich! It's easy, cheesy, delicious! The rich Irish cheddar goes a long way, you just need a nice thin layer on each side. Stuff your sandwich as full as you dare of thin dill pickle slices, and put a generous amount of dijon on the inside layer of bread - it adds some great tang to offset the richness of the cheese! A nice smear of softened butter on the outside, a 3-minute hang out in the griddle and voila! Lunch! I loved these sandwiches. My sister thought they were lacking a protein. Feel free to throw in some ham or turkey (or BACON!) if you want a little extra flavor / texture / protein in yours. I think they're perfect on their own!

I also think if you happen to have some leftover Irish Soda Bread or a Beer Bread, this would be phenomenal in that. I used a homemade Sweet Rye Bread and it worked beautifully! You can use whatever bread you have on hand.

Come see all our pickle recipes!

Dill Pickle Grilled Cheese Sandwich adapted from Little Dairy on the Prairie and Pioneer Woman

Directions
4 slices Sweet Rye Bread
1 large dill pickle, sliced thin
4-8 thin slices Irish Cheddar Cheese
4 tsp Dijon mustard
About 2-3 TBS butter, softened

Directions
  1. Preheat a griddler over medium-high to high heat while you prep your sandwiches. 
  2. Lay out your 4 slices of bread, and generously smear the inside of each piece with Dijon. Place a first thin layer of Irish Cheddar, followed by the pickles, more cheese, and the top slice of bread. 
  3. Smear the outsides of each slice of bread with softened butter.
  4. Place completed sandwiches on the pre-heated griddler, and gently close the top.
  5. Set a timer for 3-minutes. Sandwiches are ready when golden brown and cheese is fully melted.

Comments

  1. Oh, my goodness! I need to try this. Thanks for joining the pickle party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like such a delicious twist on a much loved classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just gave me inspiration to try my pickled tongue on a grilled cheese sandwich. Sounds amazing. Thanks Rebekah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juicy on the inside and crunchy on the outside! Sounds like the ideal sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!!! The cheese and pickles go so great with each other. I share your love of pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can imagine the pickle really giving the sandwich a lift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that pickled dill in a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts