Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding


I recently made a couple loaves of Armenian Easter Bread and it smelled SO wonderful - but I discovered (again, after recently having the same issue with the Challah bread I'd made) that we just don't really eat a lot of sweet bread by itself! An occasional slice at breakfast time, maybe with butter or jam - but it just wasn't getting eaten very quickly so I had to reinvent it!


I am not a huge bread pudding fan - but my sister loves it! The few times we've been out to eat somewhere that had it on the menu, she always picks it and comments on how much she loves it. So as I was thinking through my options for the remaining loaf of sweet bread, I couldn't help but consider trying my hand at a bread pudding. Everyone was very glad that I did! The original recipe includes a caramel sauce recipe - if you want that additional richness, moisture, and sweetness definitely give that a try! I enjoyed a few bites (straight out of the baking dish - shhh don't tell on me), and my sister and son enjoyed scoops of this dessert warm in a bowl with some vanilla ice cream melting alongside. This helps cut the strong chocolate flavor and give it a little extra moisture. It was really a delicious, rich, and special dessert. I would definitely cut down the amount of chocolate chips next time (or for fun - mix then up, half PB, half chocolate?)!


Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding adapted from What's Gaby Cooking

Ingredients
7-10 cups bread cut into 1-inch cubes (I used my homemade Armenian Easter Loaf)
10 TBS butter, melted
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 cup sugar
8 large eggs
2 TBS vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
2 TBS brown sugar

Directions

  1. Spray a 9x13 dish with nonstick cooking spray. 
  2. Combine the bread with the melted butter and chocolate chips in a large bowl and toss to coat. When evenly coated, spread in the prepared baking dish.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond milk, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt until smooth and well combined.
  4. Pour mixture over bread, pushing bread down into egg mixture so it all is evenly coated, and allow to soak for about 30 minutes. 
  5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  6. Sprinkle brown sugar over top of the casserole and place in the oven to bake for 60 minutes, until browned on top and set all the way through.
  7. Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then scoop and serve warm. Add a drizzle of caramel and / or some vanilla ice cream if desired.

Comments

Popular Posts