#SecretRecipeClub ~ Chocolate Chip Toffee Cookie Bars



Welcome to the March, Group D, reveal day for Secret Recipe Club! I hope you will take a moment to visit the  Secret Recipe Club if you've never heard of it before - it is a wonderful group of bloggers who are given a "secret" assignment of another member's blog each month and our goal is to pick ANYTHING from their blog to make and post about on our designated reveal day! I have been a part of SRC for just over two years now and LOVE the opportunity to get to know another blogger a little better each month by spending time browsing their blog, reading through their recipes and posts, and finding something perfect for my family from what they've shared.


Something I have never, ever done before happened this month.


For the very first time in my Secret Recipe Club history the very first day I visited Asiya's beautiful blog Chocolate and Chillies I ended up picking and making a recipe! Usually I browse, print, browse, think, browse, then cook a recipe or two later in the month from my assigned blog. But the stars aligned. Cookies were requested, I had Chocolate and Chillies opened since I'd just received my assignment, and I thought "I bet I can find a good cookie recipe!" And I did!! If you haven't visited Chocolate and Chillies before make sure to pop over and drool your way through a few recipes like the Zucchini Corn Pancakes, Vietnamese Spring Rolls, Mummy's Indian Spiced Shrimp BBQ'd, Avocado Hummus, and these Banana Oatmeal Pecan Breakfast Bars!


Asiya's blog has a fantastic mix of recipes - there are Indian, Italian, Middle Eastern dishes along with delicious breads, Indian sweets, pies, cookies, etc.

We were very happy with the choice we made in these chocolate chip cookie bars - I added in a handful of toffee chips but otherwise stuck to Asiya's recipe and they were devoured in no time flat. My son really, really enjoyed this recipe - and I love that I finally made a bar version of cookies! Love how easy it was to spread these out, bake them (in ONE BATCH), let them cool, slice and done! Awesome! The flavor and texture is wonderful - super tender, lovely and crisp around the edges, filled with delicious bites of chocolate and toffee. Perfect to enjoy with a glass of milk, pack in a school lunch, serve as an after school treat, or warm and top with vanilla ice cream. Delicious!


Chocolate Chip Toffee Cookie Bars from Chocolate and Chillies

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup canola oil
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup milk chocolate toffee bits (optional)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.  Spray a 9x13 pan with baking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt.
  3. In a large bowl, add the oil and both sugars.  Mix well.  Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.  Stir in the vanilla.
  4. Add the dry ingredients gradually, mixing until combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Spread the mixture into the prepared pan.  The batter will be much thicker than a cake batter and will take a bit of effort to get it spread into all the corners.  Bake for 18-22 minutes or until light golden.




Comments

  1. GREAT recipe and perfect for an afternoon tea treat! GREAT SRC pick this month - Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen - I agree, definitely a perfect afternoon tea / coffee break treat. Yumm!

      Delete
  2. Well, I guess Dorothy has serious competition then! First day, you picked and made the recipe... wow!

    I was very slow this month, but with trips and all, it gets hard.

    I am in love with your choice, toffee has my full attention, I like it so much...

    Hope you are having a fantastic Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never done that before - I'm usually such a browser, planner, and thinker about it, but the stars aligned this month. :) Happy reveal day Sally!

      Delete
  3. I love toffee chips. These look so good! Great pick this month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toffee chips rock - they are such great add-ins for cookies!

      Delete
  4. Toffee bits are a wonderful addition! So glad your family enjoyed them :) My boys gobble them up! Thank you for your kinds words and have a wonderful Reveal Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing - this was perfect for my boys this month! :)

      Delete
  5. I love chocolate chips and my husband loves toffee, so these bars seem to be made for us! Great pick this month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely made for you!! Don't you love it when everyone wins? :)

      Delete
  6. These sound perfect! Great pick this month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the idea of a "bar" version of chocolate chip cookies. I bet that makes everything so quick and easy, and I'm guessing you get a really good ratio of chewy (which I love) to crispy that way. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great for lazy days when you dont want to deal with slicing or rolling cookies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts