#FifteenCheesecakes ~ Classic Cheesecake with Strawberry Sauce



Today we are helping Camilla of Culinary Adventures with Camilla celebrate her 15th wedding anniversary with waaaayy more than #fifteencheesecakes.

Here's what everyone brought to the cheesecake table, listed in alphabetical order. Enjoy!

Berry Cheesecake Bars by Baking and Creating with Avril
Cherry Cheesecake Bites by Cookaholic Wife
ChocolateCaramel Cheesecake by Dancing Veggies
Chocolate Cheesecake by My Hobbie Lobbie
Chocolate Topped Peppermint Cheesecake by Amy's Cooking Adventures
Creme Brulee Cheesecake Bars by Tara's Multicultural Table
Easter Basket Mini Cheesecakes by Little Bit of Everything
Everyday Cheesecake by Things I Make (for Dinner)
Irish Cream Cheesecake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Layered Cinnamon Streusel Cheesecake Cake by Famished Fish, Finicky Shark
Lowfat Blackberry Cheesecake by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
Matcha-YuzuCheesecake with a Meyer Lemon Gelée by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Mini Churro Caramel Cheesecake by Cheese Curd In Paradise
Mini Maple Pecan Cheesecakes by Join Us, Pull up a Chair
Mom's New York Cheesecake by Taste Cook Sip
Mudslide Cheesecake by Sew You Think You Can Cook
{No Bake} Marshmallow Cheesecake by An Affair from the Heart
No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake by Angels Homestead
Samoa's cheesecake by Goodie Godmother
Sopapilla Cheesecake Bars by The Savvy Kitchen
Sopapilla Puff Pastry Cheesecake by Pink Cake Plate
SkinnyVanilla Bean Cheesecake by Renee's Kitchen Adventures
Twix Cheesecake Brownie Torte by Making Memories With Your Kids

For #fifteencheesecakes I had my cheesecake recipe all picked out - I read through all of the tips and suggestions for baking a cheesecake in a water bath (which I have never done before) - I had my ingredients pulled out - I even had a Reynold's oven bag around the bottom of my cheesecake pan to prevent leaks into the cake (which I thought was such a great tip!) And then... then I couldn't find my roasting pan... anywhere.


I have had a roasting pan for the past 10 plus years - I think I got it at some point after moving into our house in Hiram and don't use it often, but it's always worked great when needed. We moved late last October though - and somewhere between there and our new house it wandered off, or got donated, or trashed, or misplaced... I have no idea! But I did not discover this until I was ready to bake this cheesecake.


So what was I to do?! I almost jumped in the car and made the trip to the store to get a new pan. But I decided to risk it and bake the cheesecake exactly as written, with no water bath. I put a pan of water under the cake instead - hoping that might help produce at least some of a similar effect.


I'm pretty sure it did not work the same way, at all, as a water bath - but, irregardless of my issues with how I ended up baking this cheesecake, it was absolutely DELICIOUS! You can bet as soon as I locate my roasting pan, or buy a new one, I will be trying this again to see the difference with a water bath. This cheesecake has a perfect flavor; rich, decadent, just a light tanginess, super creamy, and with the strawberry sauce? Over the top. We all loved this recipe so much! I am so glad I finally gave baked cheese cake a try, and can't wait to do this one justice with the correct baking process!



New York Cheesecake from Food for a Hungry Soul

Ingredients
5 large eggs, room temperature
2 cups (one pint) sour cream, room temperature
4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
8 tablespoons (one stick) butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

Directions
  1. Generously butter the inside of a 10-inch springform pan.  Wrap a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil tightly around the outside bottom and sides, crimping and pleating the foil to make it conform to the pan.  This will help to prevent water seeping into the pan when you put it into the bain-marie.  Position the baking rack in the center of the oven; preheat the oven to 300* Fahrenheit. 
  2. In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the sour cream until well blended.
  3. In a medium-sized bowl, beat the cream cheese with the butter until smooth and creamy.  Add this to the egg-sour cream mixture and beat until smooth. 
  4. Add the sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest and beat thoroughly, about 2 minutes. 
  5. Pour into the prepared springform pan and place in a roasting pan (or other pan) large enough to prevent the sides from touching.  Place in the oven and carefully pour in enough very hot tap water to reach halfway up the sides of the springform pan.
  6. Bake for 2 hours, 15 minutes, or until the cake is very lightly colored and a knife inserted in the center emerges clean.  Remove from the water bath and carefully peel the aluminum foil (or oven bag / slow cooker liner) from around the pan.  Let stand at room temperature until completely cool, about 4 hours.  Refrigerate, covered, until well chilled.  For best flavor and texture, this cheesecake should be chilled overnight before serving.
Note - please visit Katy's site linked above for  comments / feedback to help ensure you get good results with this recipe if you're not familiar with baking cheesecakes and water baths (neither of which I'd done previously to making this recipe).


Strawberry Sauce / Puree from Spusht

Ingredients
1 lb box of strawberries, fresh
¼ cup sugar
2-3 Tbsp of water
1 tsp of white vinegar or lemon juice

Directions
  1. Cut the greens off of the strawberries, rinse well. 
  2. Dice the strawberries into small pieces (depending on how "chunky" you want your sauce - unless you plan to puree, then just quarter the strawberries), place berries in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat along with water, vinegar/lemon juice, and half the amount of sugar, stir, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes checking every few minutes to make sure it's not boiling off all the liquid. 
  3. When the strawberries are soft and the sauce has thickened, taste and adjust sugar as desired.  
  4. If you want a finely pureed consistency, allow the mixture to cool and then put it in a blender and puree until the desired consistency is reached.
Note: Use within 2 - 3 days, or freeze any remaining sauce for later use.


Comments

  1. Looks delish Rebekah...congrats for moving out of your comfort zone. Any baking pan large enough to hold your cheesecake and the water will work for you waterbath in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that - but I couldn't find one it would fit in without tilting a little; my 9x13s are the biggest I have and it was a 10" springform - it was a fun experiment nonetheless! :)

      Delete
  2. Looks delish Rebekah...congrats for moving out of your comfort zone. Any baking pan large enough to hold your cheesecake and the water will work for you waterbath in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebekah, thank you for joining the celebration! And your cheesecake looks delicious. I have half a flat of strawberries that I just got at the farmers' market last night! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for giving us a reason to celebrate! Happy anniversary!! :)

      Delete
  4. Looks great! I am not a big fan of water baths and have found I get great results without one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fruit with my cheesecake...this looks wonderful. Honestly, I don't always use a water bath...sometimes I just forget to! Regardless, I bet this was absolutely wonderful! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cheesecake looks wonderful! I love the strawberry puree on top. (That makes it okay for breakfast, right?) =o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can never go wrong with the classic New York style. The strawberry puree is an awesome addition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nichole - that strawberry sauce was the perfect complement to the creamy cheesecake!

      Delete
  8. That strawberry sauce!! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh...you can't go wrong with a classic cheesecake! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rebekah, your cheesecake looks fantastic! Water bath or no water bath....absolutely scrumptious looking! Immediately my mouth started to water when I opened up your blog. It seriously did!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Avril!! Mine is watering again thinking about it... I see more cheesecake in my future - especially after all these amazing recipes that were shared! So many to pick from, yumm!!

      Delete
  11. Your cheesecake looks absolutely delicious, and looks great even without the water bath. I usually make no-bake cheesecakes, and have only made a baked version once. They are both good, but my family seems to prefer the no-bake versions the best. I love that you topped it with strawberry sauce too. I much prefer that to the usual cherry sauce..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get into doing no bakes more often - they are such a smart way to enjoy creamy cheesecake; my hubby and son love cheesecake so I'm not sure why I never make them!

      Delete
  12. Classic cheesecake is my favorite. So many options for the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks delicious even without the water bath! That strawberry sauce is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, I've never actually had the classic cheesecake! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts