Butterbeer from Harry Potter
I had the chance to review some Harry Potter themed jewelry that I knew my son and / or his girlfriend would really like; so I was excited to receive the two necklaces! I started thinking about what recipe I could make that would be Harry Potter themed to tie into the necklaces; there are a LOT of them out there! There is an entire Harry Potter Recipes website, a bunch of good ones on Nom!Nom!Nom! (I almost made the Mrs. Weasley's Magically Easy Fudge or the Horcrux Cakes), and then I really wanted to make the Molly's Mini Meat Pies. So many ideas! But I kept seeing pictures of this frothy, sweet treat, and I decided what the heck - this is the one!
I love cream soda. No one else in my household ever drinks it, so it's only an "on a very rare occasion" type treat for me - so this recipe was a great excuse to pop into the grocery store and pick up a 2-liter of the creamy, yummy, sweet drink!
My son and I indulged in this VERY sweet treat over the weekend while hanging out in the kitchen. It is SUPER sweet and rich, so definitely start with small portions. The creamy topping really "makes" this drink - so make sure to not skimp on the heavy whipped cream in this recipe.
The necklace set I was sent to review is great for dress up or the Harry Potter fan in your life - they aren't meant to be super fancy pieces, just perfect for those who like the movies and want something tangible from the movies to wear, give, or share! My 16 year old son and his girlfriend were fighting over the hourglass piece (guess who won - hint, she always wins)! :D It's a really good value for the two pieces, and I am really glad I had the chance to review this set. It inspired me to find some fun new recipes to try out, and I made my teenager happy - win win for this mama!
Butterbeer - Inspired by Harry Potter, from FoxNews
1 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
6 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
1/2 teaspoon rum extract
1 2-liter bottle of cream soda (use as needed)
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine the brown sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring often, until the mixture reads 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Turn off the heat.
- Stir in the butter, salt, cider vinegar and 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the rum extract.
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture with the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Use an electric mixer to beat until just thickened, but not completely whipped, about 2 minutes.
- To serve: Divide the brown sugar mixture between 4 tall glasses (about 1/4 cup for each glass). Add 1/4 cup of cream soda to each glass, then stir to combine. Fill each glass nearly to the top with additional cream soda, then spoon the whipped topping over each.
*Full Disclosure: I received complimentary product from Vision Creations for the purpose of review. I received no compensation for this post. All comments are 100% accurate and 100% my own.