Hot Dog Fried Rice
This was such an easy and tasty meal we enjoyed recently! I love fried rice dishes; and adding hot dogs was actually really tasty. I think this would have been fun with the addition of bell peppers and pineapple as well!
Searing the hot dogs for great flavor is DEFINITELY key!
Fried rice is a great base for mix and match proteins and veggies - this one came about because I had most of a package of hot dogs languishing in the refrigerator because yet again my lovely picky 7 year old asked for something, then didn't really want it after the first time she had one so I had most of a package with no purpose in the fridge! I debated a few different recipes - we don't eat hot dogs all that often, but I do love chili dogs, or a hearty baked bean bake with hotdogs is something that will usually be enjoyed around here. But I decided to try something different this time and this might be my new favorite way to use up leftover hot dogs!
Other recipes with hot dogs you might enjoy:
Hot Dog Fried Rice
1 TBS vegetable oil
6 hot dogs, diced into small pieces
4 cups cooked long-grain white rice
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 - 1 cup frozen broccoli, thawed
3 TBS soy sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat half of the oil in a large nonstick skillet and sear the hot dog pieces until they are well browned / slightly charred.
- Remove them from the skillet and set aside in a bowl or on a plate.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet and add in the rice. Allow it to brown a little before stirring.
- Add in the peas and broccoli and stir to blend. Push mixture to sides of the pan to leave an opening in the center. Pour the eggs into the opening and stir quickly with spatula to scramble them as they cook. Once mostly set, stir them into the rice / veggie mixture.
- Pour soy sauce over and stir in. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste, and / or additional soy sauce if desired.
Recipe adapted from Ready Set Eat