Fry Bread



I have been wanting to make a fry bread recipe for.ev.er. My mom used to make fry bread as a breakfast treat every once in a blue moon (we lived in Alaska for a year when I was a baby, and she learned the recipe there - I believe). This recipe isn't quite how (I think) I remember the fry bread my mom made - but it is light, airy, crispy, chewy and perfect. My 16 year old ate about half the finished recipe on his own I think! We served the bread at breakfast with butter, jam, and honey to top it with, served alongside some grits, scrambled eggs and some crispy bacon.

This was definitely a wonderful treat to enjoy - and my son has loudly requested I make it again, soon. My husband definitely ate his fair share as well! I didn't get to do butter with cinnamon sugar on any like I wanted, so I guess I will have to succumb to the teenagers wishes and make another batch soon to remedy that. :) 

Fry Bread II from on AllRecipes

Ingredients
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons shortening
1 1/3 cups cold water, or as needed
2 quarts oil for deep frying 

Directions
  1. Whisk baking powder, salt and flour together. Cut in shortening. Add cold water gradually until a soft dough is made (it will still be a little sticky). Flour hands and knead about 5 minutes until smooth and no longer sticky. Divide into 8 pieces. Cover dough with plastic. Working one piece at a time, flatten each piece until about 1/2 inch thick and the size of a lunch plate.
  2. Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (I recommend using a MeasuPro Thermometer to check your oil temp).
  3. Fry dough in oil; turn with tongs to brown each side. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm on a baking tray lined with paper towels in a 200 degree oven while cooking the rest.


Comments

Popular Posts