Cheapskate Stew



This is a super easy dish that I really, really liked. My son and husband were both kind of "meh" about it, but me and my 16 month old ate this one up! I love that this is packed full of veggies, and has more veggies in the broth, so it was a good meal for my baby girl to enjoy. She still spit out some of the veggies, or pushed them to the edge of her plate, but she got a few in her at least!
I could have eaten this for lunch every day for a week. It is a very simple dish that is warm and cozy. It is perfect for the cooler weather we've been having, and would go wonderfully with some crusty bread. This isn't very "soupy", so if you like more broth you can always increase the water / tomato sauce, or add some chicken or beef broth, etc. Mix and match the veggies to you personal tastes and preferences (and what you have on hand). I had a Mediterranean Blend in my freezer that included red pepper, broccoli, whole green and yellow beans, along with squash that I threw in mine and loved the variation of those veggies.


Cheapskate Stew adapted from Laurie Brantley on AllRecipes

Ingredients
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 onion, diced small
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, beans, etc.)
2 cups water, more if needed
3 carrots, chopped
2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Brown the hamburger meat with onion and celery. Drain any excess grease.
  2. Add water and carrots, bring to a simmer and then cook until carrots are beginning to get tender (about 10 - 15 minutes).
  3. Add remaining vegetables, macaroni, tomato sauce, Italian spices, and salt and pepper to taste; simmer until the flavors blend and all ingredients are warm through. Taste test, and adjust seasonings if needed.


Comments

Popular Posts