This is a fantastic weeknight all in one casserole dish that was creamy, cheesy, and very satisfying. Everyone ate this one up and gave it a big thumbs up. We used ham lunchmeat since that's what we had on hand, but it would be a wonderful way to use up some leftover ham.
This casserole is an easy way to get the flavors of Chicken Cordon Bleu without the hassle of rolling everything together - just prep ingredients, mix it all together, top with seasoned bread crumbs and bake. In no time you'll have a bubbly hot comforting dinner ready to go. We served these alongside some very tasty lemon-kissed skillet cooked brussels sprouts.
There's pretty much nothing I can think of that I would change, and for me that's saying a lot about a recipe. We ended up using a blend of cheeses, since we didn't have the full amount of Swiss, but agreed a stronger Swiss flavor would have been nice in this dish, so I would make sure I had that on hand before making again in the future.
Creamy Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole from Felicia on AllRecipes
1 (8-ounce) package wide egg noodles
2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
8 ounces cooked ham, cubed (I used ham lunch meat)
8 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
1 (10.75 ounce) can cream of chicken soup (can substitute cream of mushroom)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook egg noodles in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, about 5-8 minutes. Drain and transfer noodles to the prepared casserole dish; top with chicken, ham, and Swiss cheese.
- Mix cream of chicken soup, milk, and sour cream together in a bowl; spoon soup mixture over noodle mixture. Stir gently to blend ingredients.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in the melted butter until crumbs are coated with butter and cheese, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven until casserole is bubbling and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Allow casserole to cool for 10 minutes before serving.