Mixed Berry Oatmeal Bars for #NationalOatmealMonth


Jolene from Jolene’s Recipe Journal invited the Festive Foodies to join her in celebrating National Oatmeal Month! She said: "January is #NationalOatmealMonth! Oats are so delicious. good for you, and can be prepared so many different ways, sweet or savory."

We love oatmeal in this house - we go through a lot of it! I bake oatmeal for breakfast, or serve it hot and creamy with various mix-ins. I love it in crisps and crumbles, and incorporate it into muffins from time to time. And variations of oatmeal bars are definitely a dessert favorite!


I happened to have a good sized bag of mixed berries in the freezer, and knew they would be delicious in a sweet dessert bar. These are very reminiscent of a crisp or crumble in flavor, and are delicious warmed and served with some vanilla yogurt, or ice cream. You can chill them if you'd like them to be firmer in texture. They're delicious either way!

Come see all of the ways we're celebrating oatmeal today with all of these delicious recipes!

National Oatmeal Month

Mixed Berry Oatmeal Bars

Ingredients
2 ½ cups mixed berries, fresh or frozen (thawed if frozen)
1 TBS lemon juice
2 tsp corn starch
3 TBS sugar
1 ½ cup oats (I used old-fashioned, quick work well)
1 ½ cup flour
1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 cup butter, melted
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, combine the berries with the lemon juice, cornstarch and granulated sugar. Stir to coat and set aside.
  3. In another medium bowl, melt the butter, and then add in the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, baking powder, and stir. Stir gently to combine.
  4. Spread 2/3 of the oats mixture in the base of the prepared baking sheet, pressing firmly to form the bottom layer. Spread the berry mixture over the top and drop the remaining oats mixture in small clumps around the top of the berry layer.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the oats are golden, and mixture is thick and bubbly.
  6. Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.

Recipe adapted from Lemons and Zest

Comments

  1. Awesome! I've been looking for recipes to use up the blackberries and blueberries in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure I can cobble together some mixed berries from the freezer since I have a few different kinds. This will be a great way to use those up in a dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love oatmeal bars like these and berries are the perfect filling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These oatmeal bars are perfect. I just got some frozen berries and this is on my list to make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! These sound so good. I love the combination of berries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of the fresh berries in these oatmeal bars, they look absolutely scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A little taste of summer in the middle of this trying winter. Pure comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound amazing! I love oats and berries together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love baked oatmeal and all those berries sound amazing! I can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts