Curried Lentil Soup for #OurFamilyTable
Welcome to #OurFamilyTable! We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! Come find us on our Pinterest board. Are you a blogger who's interested in joining the fun? Visit our group page and request to join!
Christie from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures said: It's cold. We all could use some warm comfort in a bowl. There are as many different flavors of soup as there are jelly beans! Probably more. How do you keep warm in winter with a bowl of goodness?
This soup was so wonderfully cozy and packed full of delicious nutritious ingredients. It's like a warm hug on a cool day. Perfect to heat yourself up with on a fall or winter afternoon. There was something very reminiscent of bean and bacon soup to me with this one - which is a little odd in that there are neither beans nor bacon, but I happen to love bean and bacon soup so it was a good discovery to me!
I love that this soup has just a hint of curry flavor, and is packed with spinach. It makes a wonderful lunch or light dinner. A biscuit or roll to sop up all that thick hearty soup is always a great addition if you have one handy!
See all of the tasty soup ideas that we're sharing with you today!
Winter Warm Up Soups!
- Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup by That Recipe
- Chicken Soba Noodle Soup by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Curried Lentil Soups by Making Miracles
- Easy Split Pea and Kielbasa Soup by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Ginger Chicken and Quinoa Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Sausage Vegetable Soup by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Slow Cooker Zuppa Tuscana Recipe by Blogghetti
- Unstuffed Banana Pepper Soup by Art of Natural Living
- Vegetarian Winter Minestrone Soup by Magical Ingredients
Curried Lentil Soup
2 medium carrots
1 medium yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
2 cups dried red lentils (about 1 pound)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
5-6 cups baby spinach (about 6 ounces)
- Pour the lentils into a fine mesh strainer, and rinse well. Discard any broken or discolored pieces. Set aside to drain.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. When hot, sauté the carrots and onion for about 5-10 minutes until well browned. Add the garlic and sauté another minute, until fragrant. Add the seasonings - curry powder, cumin, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir occasionally for about a minute to toast the seasonings.
- Add in the tomato sauce and vegetable broth, stirring gently to combine. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover with a lid and simmer 18-22 minutes until the lentils are fully tender. Turn off the heat and stir the spinach in, covering again for another minute or two allowing it to wilt. Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from The Kitchn