Hong Kong Style Spam & Egg Macaroni Soup for #SoupSwap
Happy National Soup Swap Day! Today, I'm linking up with other bloggers for a virtual soup swap hosted by Kate's Recipe Box - and we're all sharing some tasty soup recipes to warm you up!
This was a very fun soup to try out - my brain was very confused while I was eating it. I felt that the ratio of pasta to other ingredients was off in the version I made, so I listed half of the amount of pasta below in the recipe so that there is more broth to filling ingredients.
Flavor wise this was really tasty, and just wonderfully strange (to my taste buds)! The fried egg pieces and creamy yolk mixed with bites of spam, and then noodles, broth, and veggies somehow works together! It was a delicious and filling lunch.
This is the perfect time of year to try out a few new soup recipes. I know I lean much more heavily on soups, stews, and chilis this time of year when the weather is so chilly outside - and we've got you covered with tons of fantastic new ideas to try out.
National Soup Swap Day 2021
- Dill Pickle Soup from Kate's Recipe Box
- Alphabet Soup from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Dairy Free Cream of Asparagus Soup from Frugal & Fit
- Quick Vegetable Soup from Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Clean the Refrigerator Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Roasted Garlic Soup with Potatoes, Kale, & Bacon from Savory Moments
- Cream of Mushroom Soup from Kathryn's Kitchen Blog
- 30 Minute Two Bean Tomato Soup from Blogghetti
- Vichyssoise from That Recipe
- Rotisserie Chicken Alphabet Soup from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Chicken and Black Bean Vegetable Soup from Palatable Pastime
- Potato and Spinach Soup from Magical Ingredients
- Conch Soup from HomeMadeZagat
- Copycat Olive Garden Chicken and Gnocchi Soup from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Slow-Cooker Pasta Fagioli Soup from A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Corn Chowder from House of Nash Eats
- Lobster Bisque from The Redhead Baker
- Bacon-Cheddar Cauliflower Chowder from The Spiffy Cookie
- Hong Kong Style Spam & Egg Macaroni Soup from Making Miracles
- Cauliflower Cheddar Soup from Devour Dinner
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup from Hostess at Heart
Hong Kong Style Spam & Egg Macaroni Soup
1 cup uncooked macaroni
1 tsp olive or vegetable oil
1 can of 12 oz. spam, cubed
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup frozen green peas
1 can of 13 oz. corn kernels, drained
2-3 teaspoons soy sauce (more to taste)
1 dash sesame oil
1 pinch salt and black pepper to taste (optional)
4 eggs (for frying)
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, and simmer the macaroni noodles to al dente per package directions. When cooked through, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a soup pot, or 5-quart Dutch oven, heat the oil and sauté the cubed spam until it is well browned on all sides. Add in the following ingredients: chicken broth, green peas, corn, soy sauce, dash of sesame oil. Bring to a low simmer. Taste and adjust the soy sauce, and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni noodles.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and fry up 1 egg over easy or over medium (season lightly with salt and pepper while cooking), per bowl of soup, and serve atop the bowl of soup.
Recipe adapted from Food 52
I"m going to share this recipe in our boxes that we pack up for the food pantry and include all of the ingredients as they are staples there. Thanks Rebekah.ReplyDelete
I'm always adding way too much pasta to every soup I make. However, I like my soup thick...so I might prefer your first version. It looks lovely...and is a great excuse to buy some Spam!ReplyDelete