Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cinnamon Butternut Squash for #SundayFunday
Welcome to #SundayFunday! Wendy from A Day In The Life on The Farm invited fellow bloggers to kick back, relax, and share something tasty and fun each weekend. "Sunday should be a Family Funday. Please join us in sharing recipes that will help you to enjoy your Sunday." If you're a blogger interested in joining us, just visit our Facebook group and request to join!
This month, I invited everyone to join me in sharing Holiday inspired side dishes! With Thanksgiving just behind us, and Christmas and New Years on the Horizon, we're in menu planning mode. Even though it will just be our little household, we like to plan a big meal on the Holidays. The process of meal planning and cooking together is definitely an important part of those days!
I know we've had a lot of variations of Holiday themed posts lately, but I thought I'd try to sneak one more in, focusing on side dishes. I don't know about you - but the sides are typically where I spend the most energy when I'm thinking about a menu. Once a protein has been settled on, it's picking which dishes to serve alongside that item, things that will go together at least to a certain degree, and will have lots of flavor, but complement the main item as well.
This side dish is absolutely DELICIOUS - I adore pretty much anything roasted, and the flavor and texture of the brussels alongside sweet and tender butternut squash with that maple syrup drizzle? This dish screams fall and was a huge hit at our Thanksgiving celebration last month. The dried cranberries add a wonderful additional texture and tang. You can also add chopped walnuts / pecans for additional texture and flavor! My sister isn't a huge fan of nuts, so I try to leave them off (most of the time)!
Come get some side dish inspiration today!
- Charred Green Beans with Cranberries and Crisped Onions by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chicken Lapeta by Sneha's Recipe
- Creamed Spinach Gratin by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Golden Marquis Potatoes by Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cinnamon Butternut Squash by Making Miracles
- Sicilian Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cinnamon Butternut Squash
3 cups Brussels sprouts ends trimmed, yellow leaves removed
1 1/2 lb butternut squash peeled, seeded, and cubed into 1-inch cubes (Yields about 4 cups of uncooked cubed butternut squash)
2-3 TBS olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 - 1/2 cup dried cranberries
2-4 TBS maple syrup optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread the brussels out on one baking sheet, and the butternut squash on a second sheet. Divide the olive oil and salt between the two, gently tossing to evenly combine. Sprinkle the cinnamon over the squash and toss again.
- Roast in the pre-heated oven 20-30 minutes, stirring halfway through and removing from the oven once vegetables are tender.
- One pan may take longer than the other, depending on the size of the vegetables.
- Once both sheets of vegetables are cooked, combine them in a large bowl, drizzle with the maple syrup, add in the dried cranberries and toss gently to coat. Taste, and add additional salt and / or syrup as desired before serving.
Recipe adapted from Julia's Album
We often enjoy roasted brussels and roasted squash but I've never thought to combine them. Thanks for the inspiration and for hosting.ReplyDelete
What a great combination of flavors, and so simple too!ReplyDelete
Beautiful dish full of flavors, healthy food!ReplyDelete