#BakingBloggers ~ Baked Glazed Lemon Donuts
Welcome to October's #BakingBloggers! Sue of Palatable Pastime and Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm have brought together some of their blogger friends to create #BakingBloggers - every month we have a general theme (such as pies, muffins, cakes, etc.) and we get to share any recipe we'd like! This month we are sharing some delicious baked donuts.
I don't have too many donut recipes on my blog - I have previously shared some baked pumpkin donuts, baked chocolate donuts, and baked apple cinnamon donuts - so we're rounding out the flavor options with this incredible lemon donut!
This recipe is a total keeper. It is based on the Starbucks Lemon Cake, and it is tender, so moist, and just bursting with gorgeous lemon flavor. I am a huge fan of my Nielsen-Massey flavor extracts, and the full Tablespoon of extract adds a huge punch of flavor! The sweet-tart glaze takes these over the top. Enjoy these alongside your favorite cup of coffee for a lovely breakfast treat. They work perfectly for dessert too!
See all the other yummy donut recipes being shared today:
- A 'Hole' Lotta Fun with Mini Donuts by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Apple Cider Baked Doughnuts by Cookaholic Wife
- Baked Apple Cider Doughnuts by The Schizo Chef
- Baked Chocolate Spice Crumb Cake Donuts by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Baked Cookies and Cream Doughnuts by Tara's Multicultural Table
- Baked Donut Recipe Without A Pan by Recipe Pocket
- Baked Donut Muffins by Sneha's Recipe
- Baked Glazed Lemon Donuts by Making Miracles
- Chocolate Donuts with Chocolate Chips by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Double Chocolate Baked Donuts by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Filled Donuts by Sid's Sea Palm Cooking
- German Chocolate Sauerkraut Donuts by Palatable Pastime
1 large egg
3/4 cup granulated sugar
6 ounces Greek yogurt
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon lemon zest (fresh)
1 tablespoon lemon extract, or to taste (I prefer Nielsen Massey)
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
2-3 TBS fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 6-well donut baking pan with baker's spray (make sure to coat well around the center piece as well).
- Combine the egg, sugar, and greek yogurt in the bowl of a stand mixer, blend. Add in the vegetable oil, lemon zest, and lemon extract (ONLY extract, do not substitute juice or oil). Blend until smooth and creamy, scrape down sides as needed.
- Add in the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Blend gently, finishing by hand - do not overmix.
- Fill donut wells about 3/4 of the way full (smooth top of batter gently). Bake about 14 minutes, until tops spring back. Cool about 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Bake second batch if needed (this batter made 8 total donuts for me).
- Combine glaze ingredients. Place a silpat underneath your cooling rack to catch any glaze drips for easy clean up. Dip the tops of the warm donuts into the glaze and return to the cooling rack.
- Donuts are best fresh - enjoy the day you make them, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a few days after baking.