Baked Chocolate Glazed Donuts
These are very tasty chocolate cake donuts - I think the batter would be fantastic as a regular chocolate snack cake topped with some chocolate chips and/or powdered sugar. I made a fairly thin glaze - dunked the donuts in and the glaze stayed fairly wet which made our donuts gooey and sticky (and all the better for finger-lickin'!)
I would definitely use these again - the batter amount was perfect for my 6-donut pan and I really liked the springy, tender, and delicious cakey donuts - you can adjust the glaze to your likeness in terms of thickness and then add some sprinkles if you want for that extra sweet touch!
Baked Chocolate Glazed Donuts by Food Family and Finds
1 cup all purpose flour
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup + 3 tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 tablespoons coffee, brewed (Donut House Chocolate Glazed Donut was suggested in original recipe)
2 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 2/3 cup powdered sugar
(add ⅓ more powdered sugar for a thick frosting)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and prepare a donut baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Add in the milk, egg, vanilla and butter to the dry ingredients; whisk until smooth.
- Evenly distribute the batter between the donut pan compartments (6 total, they should be about half full).
- Bake 12 – 14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- For the glaze, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. You may need to add an additional ⅓ cup of powdered sugar for a thicker glaze.
- Dip the top of each donut in the glaze, top with chocolate sprinkles if desired and enjoy.