#Choctoberfest ~ Chocolate Red Wine Cake
Welcome to the VERY last day of the 2019 #Choctoberfest! See the Welcome Post here to check out all the fantastic bloggers participating this year, and see the INCREDIBLE giveaway linked towards the end of that post (SO much good stuff)! A big shout out to our hostess Allison of Triple Chocolate Kitchen - she brought together an all-star cast of over 70 bloggers this year who are sharing OODLES of gooey, decadent, drool-worthy chocolate recipes with you this week - we're wrapping up today so PLEASE make sure to enter the giveaway - you don't want to miss these incredible sponsor giveaways! One of our sponsors is Imperial Sugar / Dixie Crystals, and I am lucky enough to get to work with them this year! Their sugar products are impeccable. I always have perfect results - and have used everything from their brown sugar, to powdered sugar, and of course tons (possibly literally) of their granulated sugars.
I was considering my options for just one last recipe - and had brought home some wine remnants after a work party, 2 of the bottles were red and my sister isn't the biggest fan of red wine. So I wondered how I might cook with them... or bake with them? I did a little searching and stumbled across this recipe and it is the perfect elegant dessert (to serve alongside a glass of red wine - of course)! The flavor profile is deep and rich, it has a faint smell of chocolate and wine, and is fudgy and moist inside. It's a lovely cake recipe and beautiful with a light dusting of powdered sugar!
If you happen to have some red wine laying about and need a home for it - definitely give this beautiful cake a try soon! And make sure to visit our link-up below of all the other chocolatey treats being shared by the #Choctoberfest bloggers today!
Chocolate Red Wine Cake from FoodandWine.com
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 3/4 cups Imperial / Dixie Crystals sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups dry red wine
Imperial / Dixie Crystals powdered sugar, for dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bundt pan with baking spray (such as Baker's Joy) and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to blend and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the softened butter and sugar together for about 2 minutes until light in color and creamy, scrape down the sides as needed.
- Blend in the eggs, 1 at a time. Blend in the vanilla. Next alternate the dry ingredients with the red wine (I used a mix of cab sauvignon and pinot noir), and on low speed combine ingredients just until mixed - finish combining with a spatula by hand.
- Scrape batter (it will be fairly thick) into your prepared bundt pan and bake in the pre-heated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan about 15-20 minutes, before inverting and allowing to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- When cooled, dust with powdered sugar and serve!
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!Click here to enter
I odn't think I've ever really tried making anything with red wine, but this is a great idea! That cake looks amazing!ReplyDelete