Pecan Streusel Greek Yogurt Coffee Cake
This was a delicious coffee cake recipe we prepared and enjoyed recently! I was looking for something "breakfast baked good" that would use up some of the Greek Yogurt I'd bought and stumbled across this recipe. I added chopped pecans to the topping and it was crunchy and delicious! I love the flavor of toasted nuts the baking gives them. This is buttery, and rich, and really a perfect coffee cake recipe.
The original recipe suggest baking in a springform pan - but since I haven't gotten comfortable using mine yet, I stuck with my favorite 2-quart baking dish. This serves up very nicely alongside your favorite cup of coffee or tea. My son really enjoyed this one - it didn't last long in our house!
Pecan Streusel Greek Yogurt Coffee Cake adapted from Belle of the Kitchen
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup Greek Yogurt
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups finely chopped pecans
3 Tablespoons cold butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place all streusel ingredients in a bowl, use a pastry cutter to blend the butter into the mixture until it is well blended and resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, blend the softened butter with the sugar until creamy - about 2 minutes. Add in the eggs one at a time, scraping down sides as needed, blending until well incorporated. Add the vanilla and Greek yogurt in; blend again until well combined.
- In a separate medium bowl combine dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk to combine.
- On low speed, add the dry into the wet and blend JUST until incorporated - don't over mix. Use a spatula to finish blending by hand.
- Spread half of the prepared cake batter into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle half of the streusel mixture over the top. Top with remaining cake batter and remaining streusel.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.