Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili
If you are looking for a bowl of cozy comfort that's meat-free this is a fabulous base chili recipe. As with most recipes, I advocate taste testing and tweaking to your personal preference, but we enjoyed this one as is!
Change up the beans to use what you have on hand - throw in some ground beef or shredded chicken if you want to amp up the protein, boost the flavor with more spices, or tone it down to start with if you like things milder!
The best thing about chili is how it goes with everything!! Serve it over rice with some grated cheese, or sour cream. Serve a big warm bowl with a heap of saltine crackers, pour it over baked potatoes! The options are endless. One of my favorite ways is alongside a nice slab of buttery cornbread. Yumm!
- Heat instant pot to sauté mode and heat the oil. Add the onions and sauté, stirring occasionally until tender and slightly browned. Add garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add in seasonings: chili powder, oregano, cumin, and garlic powder. Stir in tomato paste and sauté the mixture for about a minute. Then stir in the broth and tomato sauce, using a wooden spoon to scrape any browned bits from the base of the pot (to prevent a burn notice).
- Add in the diced tomatoes, chipotle pepper, beans, and salt (start with a teaspoon, adjust to taste after cooking).
- Cancel the sauté cycle, and set the high pressure cook cycle for 10 minutes after securing the lid.
- Once the cycle has completed, allow the pressure cooker to naturally release 5 minutes before quick releasing the remaining pressure.
- Stir and taste; adjust seasonings to personal preference.
- Serving suggestions: over rice, with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, diced onion, minced parsley or cilantro, etc.