Doritos Taco Salad for #SundayFunday
Welcome to #SundayFunday! Wendy from A Day In The Life on The Farm invited fellow bloggers to kick back, relax, and share something tasty and fun each weekend. "Sunday should be a Family Funday. Please join us in sharing recipes that will help you to enjoy your Sunday." If you're a blogger interested in joining us, just visit our Facebook group and request to join!
Today I invited our #SundayFunday group to celebrate "National Potato Chip Day" on March 14th by sharing a dish featuring chips in any way, shape, or form.
Initially I was thinking about a cozy casserole dish with some sort of chip topping, which is definitely a go-to around here, but then I had a salad for last week's #SundayFunday event, and I got to thinking about salads and chips... and voila! Doritos Taco Salad it is. I love this dish! It reminds me of pot-lucks and summertime. It's full of every texture - warm, cool, crisp, soft, crunchy... It has a touch of sweetness and tanginess from the dressing, and the lovely nacho cheese flavor from the chips, with the taco seasoned meat. It all works together deliciously and is a quick and easy meal that's ready to go anytime.
I made this up for lunch the other day, and even the picky 7 year old in my home decided it was worth eating a few bites of and telling me how amazingly wonderful it was and we should eat this every day. (Even though she only ate like 4 bites of it)! That's pretty good for my picky girl though. Someone please tell me one day my child will eat the same meals the rest of us do?!
See all of our "chip" dishes that we're sharing with you today!
- Butterfinger Potato Chip Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Cheesy Potato Chips Skillet Pie by Sneha's Recipe
- Doritos Taco Salad by Making Miracles
- Kachri Bateta by Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Parmesan-Garlic Pita Chips by Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Parmesan Potato Chips by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Potato Chip-Crusted Abalone by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Potato Chip Crusted Cod by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Salt-and-Vinegar Chip Crusted Cod Fingers by Food Lust People Love
Doritos Taco Salad
1 pound lean ground beef
salt and pepper
1 1/2 TBS taco seasoning
1/4 cup water
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 large head of Romaine lettuce, cleaned and chopped
1/2-1 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1-2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 can (15 ounce) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
6-ounces Nacho Cheese Doritos, crushed
1/2-3/4 cup Catalina Dressing
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium high heat and sauté the ground beef along with the diced onion for about 10-12 minutes, or until ground beef is cooked through and onions are tender. Add the taco seasoning and 1/4 cup water to the meat. Stir to coat and allow to simmer for a minute to thicken.
- Set aside to cool while you prep the salad.
- Add lettuce, cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, crushed chips, and dressing to a large bowl. Top with meat and toss gently to evenly combine.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Salad in A Jar
This is my type of salad a perfect comfort food.. love it!ReplyDelete
I haven't had a Dorito's salad in years. Thanks for the reminder...Going on the menu for an upcoming Mexican Monday or Taco Tuesday.ReplyDelete
I think I need to make this soon. Thanks for sharing, Rebekah.ReplyDelete
This sounds wonderful! Great story, and yes, she'll eventually eat what you do, lol. I'm now craving those Doritos!ReplyDelete
Yep, some day! I would call it a huge win that she ate four bites and declared it wonderful. This sort of salad is right up my alley, Rebekah. I'm a devotee of Doritos but I don't buy them because I'd just eat the whole bag. But in salad? That's makes them healthy, right?ReplyDelete
A fun and healthy meal. I often make salads with taco chips. Additon of meat makes it a meal on its own. As for your picky daughter, one day she will eat what you make for the family, just takes time and patience.ReplyDelete