Double Chocolate Banana Cake #ImprovCooking
Welcome to #ImprovCookingChallenge - where for the month of March we are given the ingredients of Bananas and Chocolate to combine in a recipe of our choosing to share with you. Find our group on Facebook if you're interested in joining in the fun; Nicole from Cookaholic Wife hosts our group!
I love bananas and chocolate together! One of my favorite banana breads is a chocolate version. I always have ripe bananas in my house - always in the freezer, and more often than I'd like on the counter (just before they end up in the freezer!) So I'm always on the lookout for new banana friendly recipes. Smoothies / protein shakes are definitely a go to, and banana bread always goes over well with my family. I decided a chocolatey banana cake would be fun to try. This one is super moist and tender, packed full of fruit, and lovely bites of chocolate chips! It's a tasty snack cake - or serve slightly warmed with some vanilla ice cream for an extra yummy treat!
Improv Cooking Challenge: March 2021
Banana & Chocolate
- Banana Cake with Chocolate Frosting from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread from Palatable Pastime
- Chocolate Banana Muffins from Cookaholic Wife
- Chocolate Banana Smoothie Bowl by Magical Ingredients
- Chocolate & Banana Pancake from Sneha's Recipe
- Double Chocolate Banana Cake from Making Miracles
Double Chocolate Banana Cake
3 medium ripe bananas
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips, semisweet
1/8 cup mini chips chocolate chips, semisweet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, blend the wet ingredients: banana, brown sugar, applesauce, and egg. Whisk to combine, then add in the vanilla. Slowly blend the dry ingredients into the wet. Stir the 1 cup chocolate chips in with a spatula, scraping the sides and bottom. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the top of the batter with the mini chips.
- Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before slicing and serving; store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Recipe adapted from Super Healthy Kids