#BakingBloggers ~ Ham and Herbed Potatoes Au Gratin
Are you a blogger who would like to join in the Baking fun? Request to join our Facebook Group, or contact Sue from Palatable Pastime, we post monthly on the second Monday. For April we're baking with herbs - sweet or savory dishes!
Come see all these lovely herby options we're sharing with you today!
- Baked Spaghetti with Sausage and Meatballs from Palatable Pastime
- Ham and Herbed Potatoes Au Gratin from Making Miracles
- Herb Roasted Chickpeas from Cook with Renu
- Herbed Chicken with Charred Romaine Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- No Knead Herb Bread from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Oven-Braised Rabbit with Herbed Dumplings from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Quiche Lorraine with Herbs from Sid's Sea Palm Cooking
- Sage and Caramelized Onion Sourdough Bread from Caroline's Cooking
- Rosemary & Garlic Baked Potato With Sour Cream from Sneha's Recipe
- Tomato Salad Topped Baked Spinach Frittata from Food Lust People Love
This was such a delicious meal! We grew up with sub-par potatoes au gratin and it mildly traumatized my sister and I. She was dubious when I said this was the dish I was making for this event. But I can promise you this ain't yo mama's au gratin. That cheese sauce is just luscious with a kiss of herbed flavor from the dill and parsley. Tender bites of ham and broccoli dispersed throughout. And beautifully tender cooked potatoes. It comes together for such a hearty, comforting meal that we will definitely enjoy again!
Mix and match your herbs, protein, and vegetables to use what you have on hand, or what you like best!
Ham and Herbed Potatoes Au Gratin adapted from Tastes Better from Scratch
6 medium russet potatoes
3 cups broccoli pieces, cut small
2 cups chopped ham
6 TBS butter
6 TBS all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 TBS minced garlic (jarred)
1 tsp onion powder
1 TBS parsley paste
1 TBS dill paste
Black pepper, to taste
3 cups freshly grated cheese (I used a mix of Colby Jack and Sharp Cheddar)
- Bring a pot of water to boil, and pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Briefly boil the broccoli - for about 3-4 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, wash and peel potatoes (if desired - I left skins on). Use a mandolin, or slice thinly (about 1/8" thick) with a knife.
- Layer half of the potatoes in the prepared baking dish. Spread the partially cooked broccoli and the ham over the potatoes.
- Prepare the cheese sauce. In a pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, and allow to cook for a minute or two. Whisk in the milk and bring to a low simmer, allow to thicken a little. Season with the garlic, salt, onion powder, and black pepper to taste. Stir in the parsley and dill. Stir in 2 cups of the shredded cheese. Blend until cheese has melted. Taste test and adjust the seasonings if desired.
- Spread half of the cheese sauce over top of the broccoli and ham, spread slightly with a spatula to reach all corners. Top with remaining potatoes, and spread the rest of the cheese sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle the last cup of shredded cheese over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly and potatoes are cooked all the way through.
- Allow to rest a few minutes before serving.