Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers




These came out really good - I've never made stuffed peppers before but it's been on my "to-make" list for years now!

My son wasn't a huge fan of these - he doesn't really like bell peppers, but I enjoyed them a lot, and really liked the way the filling came out (I kept eating it out of the pan while I was making these!) It's simple comfort food, and you get your veggies too! I used a red, yellow, and orange pepper for our dinner but you can use whatever color peppers you have on hand.

I saw this recipe at Mooshu Jenne and was inspired to make this recipe. Be forewarned - the filling ingredients makes a LOT, probably enough for at least double the 3 peppers called for below but it's great with some tortilla chips or as a taco filling, etc. as well. You can halve the recipe as well if you'd like so you have less leftover!

Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers

Ingredients
1.5 cups brown rice
3 cups water
2 tsp chicken bouillon
1.5 lbs ground beef
1/3 cup taco seasoning (more to taste)
6 large fresh mushrooms, diced
1 can corn, drained
3 large bell peppers, sliced in half and seeds / ribs removed
1/2  - 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
  1. Rinse rice and pour into a medium pot, add water and bouillon. Cook according to package directions, or until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir occasionally during cooking to blend in seasoning.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  3. While the rice is cooking, in a large nonstick skillet cook the ground beef along with the diced mushrooms. When meat is cooked through, you can drain off grease and excess liquid from the mushrooms, or you can stir the taco seasoning into it. If you drain off the liquid, add enough water back in to the mixture to achieve the desired consistency when you add the taco seasoning.
  4. Stir in the corn and cooked rice, combining gently.
  5. Lay prepared peppers on a baking sheet and press meat and rice mixture in until all are full and mounded slightly.
  6. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes.
  7. Pull peppers out and remove foil, top with shredded cheddar cheese. Return to oven for about 10 minutes, or until peppers are completely tender and cheese has melted.
  8. Serve immediately.
My sweet girl, 1 week away from 8 months old and wearing one of her new headbands I found and love! :)

 

Comments

  1. I am so going to have to try your recipe. Glad to inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenne for stopping by - I still want to try your version with the chicken and refried beans too; yumm!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts