Roasted Brussel Sprouts



I bought some brussel sprouts at the store for the first time in pretty much ever - I love them, but my son isn't a huge fan. I was hoping maybe his tastes had changed over the years! These actually went over VERY well with him; I didn't use the full amount of seasoning called for below but should have because mine were under seasoned.

There were varying opinions I noted when reading reviews about how long to cook them. Some thought getting them to the point of being black was WAY overdone, others raved about the flavor and creamy interiors. How long you cook them and to what "doneness" I leave totally up to you! I cooked mine I think somewhere between 30-45 minutes and most had the blackish exterior (I saw many say 15 - 20 minutes was long enough). I didn't particularly like the flavor of the really dark leaves, but I did like the soft interiors and flavor contrast of the mild brussel sprouts with a bit of that darker / charred taste from the outer leaves.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts by   on AllRecipes

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and yellow leaves removed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Place trimmed Brussels sprouts, olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal tightly, and shake to coat. Pour onto a baking sheet, and place on center oven rack.
  3. Roast in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, shaking pan every 5 to 7 minutes for even browning. Reduce heat when necessary to prevent burning. Brussels sprouts should be darkest brown, almost black, when done. Adjust seasoning with kosher salt, if necessary. Serve immediately.

Comments

Popular Posts