Spicy Ginger Cookies


I hate that I don't have one of these cookies in my hand right now while I'm writing this... it's really just unfair. I have actually never made any type of "spice / ginger" cookie before because my boys generally seem to prefer more traditional chocolate chip style cookies. But I loooove ginger snaps - as long as they are at least a little soft and not completely crisp all the way through. At our cookie exchange at work this past December someone made some delicious ginger snap bites with a super yummy icing that I could have eaten the entire container of... yumm!!



These cookies definitely satisfy that warm spicy cookie craving, and are delicious with a glass of cold milk to wash them down. Crisped, but still chewy I really loved the texture of these.


If you like your cookies at all chewy, be careful not to over bake, or they will get pretty crisped all the way through since they bake up fairly flat (or at least mine did).


I will definitely make these again - I loved everything about them!

Spicy Ginger Cookies adapted from Anisa on AllRecipes

Ingredients
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening, melted
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup coarse sugar crystals, or as needed (I used regular sugar)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the brown sugar, melted shortening and butter, molasses, egg, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, cloves, and cayenne pepper together until glossy; fold in flour until dough is just-combined.
  3. Pour coarse sugar into a shallow bowl. Roll dough into 24 balls. Roll balls in sugar and place 2-inches apart on a baking sheet.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven until the tops of the cookies crack, about 9 minutes.
  5. Cool on the baking rack for about 5 minutes, and then move to a cooling rack as soon as they are firm enough to move without cracking / breaking when handling. Store in an airtight container.


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy - the whole batch has already magically disappeared from our house; and this is after my husband stated he didn't like ginger snaps when I baked them; I think he changed his mind. :D They were so good!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts