Harvest Squash and Rigatoni for #FarmersMarketWeek
Welcome to #FarmersMarketWeek! We're taking the full week to share beautiful recipes with you inspired by ingredients that you can enjoy at your local Farmer's Markets; and this is the perfect time of year to really let the fresh fruits and veggies shine. There are some beautiful ingredients I have been picking up each week at our local markets and farms, and I can't wait to see what the other participating bloggers are serving up for inspiration!
This recipe came about when I had a beautiful surplus of squash and zucchini in my house and was trying to make sure none of it went to waste! It was a delicious way to use up a good amount of zucchini and yellow squash - which cook down into the hearty meat sauce and just add to the texture, and pack a big veggie punch!
You can play with the seasonings however you prefer - I went heavily "Italian" on this one and used quite a bit of seasonings as there was a lot of mild veggies in there. The fresh tomatoes and basil at the end bring a lovely bright, fresh touch to this filling and tasty meal!
See all of the beautiful recipes we're sharing today, highlighting fresh produce!
Tuesday’s Farmers Market Week Recipes
- Cinnamon Baked Peaches Easy Dessert Recipe by Intelligent Domestications
- Green Cucumber Mint Smoothie by Our Sutton Place
- Grilled Garlic Parmesan Corn on the Cob by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Harvest Squash and Rigatoni by Making Miracles
- Hungarian Wax Pepper Jelly by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Sautéed Mexicorn by Palatable Pastime
Harvest Squash and Rigatoni
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
2 lbs zucchini
2 lbs yellow squash
1 TBS minced garlic (jarred)
1 cup tomato paste
1 24-oz can spaghetti sauce
1 TBS garlic powder
1 TBS basil, dried
1/2 TBS oregano, dried
1/2 TBS Italian Seasoning
1 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper, more to taste
1 pint grape tomatoes, diced in half
handful of fresh basil leaves, julienne sliced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 12-oz box Rigatoni pasta
- In a very large nonstick skillet, cook the ground beef and onion over medium heat, until beef is cooked through and onion is tender (about 10 minutes). Season with a sprinkling of salt and pepper during cooking.
- Add in the zucchini, squash, minced garlic, tomato paste, spaghetti sauce and remaining seasonings: garlic powder, basil, oregano, Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir to combine, and bring to a low simmer.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the rigatoni per package directions (about 10-12 minutes at a full boil, until they reach your preferred texture).
- Drain, and set noodles aside.
- Simmer the meat and veggies about 15-20 minutes total, until the squash and zucchini are tender (cover with a lid if it is splattering).
- When meat mixture and pasta are done, gently stir the cooked pasta into the meat mixture to coat.
- Stir in the grated Parmesan and fresh tomatoes. Taste, and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve with the fresh basil sprinkled over the top, and additional Parmesan, if desired.
I love adding veggies to my pasta sauce. This looks wonderful. So hearty and delicious.ReplyDelete
This looks so hearty and meaty! I love pasta and love the zucchini and squash in this recipe.ReplyDelete
OH yeah! Loving all those veggies and pasta in such a hearty and delicious looking dinner.ReplyDelete