Farmhouse White Sandwich Bread for #BreadBakers
Welcome to #BreadBakers! We are a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
This month, our theme is Sandwich Bread and our host is Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories!
See all of our delicious sandwich bread offerings this month:
- Eggless White Sandwich Bread by Sneha's Recipe
- Farmhouse White Sandwich Bread by Making Miracles
- Just Bread Sandwich Loaf by A Messy Kitchen
- Pain de Mie aka Pullman Loaf by Food Lust People Love
- Seeded Sandwich Bread by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Sourdough Burger Buns by Cook with Renu
- Sourdough Discard Sandwich Bread by Ambrosia
- Sourdough Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread by Zesty South Indian Kitchen
- Struan Bread by Passion Kneaded
- Subway Sandwich Bread by Anybody Can Bake
This is a fantastic bread recipe - it was especially delicious toasted with an egg at breakfast time! It holds up very well as a sandwich bread, has a mild flavor, and you can cut thin or thicker slices depending on how you want to use it! I really enjoyed this recipe and would definitely use it again! It's also a versatile base - you can add lots of different things to it. I made the full triple batch mentioned below, but the other 2 loaves were used for other things (cinnamon raisin, and a ham and cheese stuffed version!)
Farmhouse White Sandwich Bread from Gather For Bread
Makes 3 loaves
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ TBS instant yeast
2 TBS granulated sugar
2 TBS melted butter
4 cups warm milk (about 85° F)
6 cups bread flour (more if needed)
1 ½ TBS salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine yeast, sugar, and 1 cup of the warm milk in a bowl. Mix and set aside until yeast is bubbly and frothy (8-10 minutes).
- Add in the all purpose flour, melted butter, remaining milk and about 4 cups of the bread flour and with the dough hook begin mixing until dough has started to form, add in enough additional flour to form a dough ball and allow to knead on medium speed for about 5 minutes.
- Cover bowl with a tea towel and allow to double in size (move to a larger bowl, lightly coated with oil or dusted with flour, if needed to allow enough room to double).
- Once risen, punch down, divide into 3 pieces and shape into loaves. Spray loaf pans with baking or nonstick cooking spray and arrange loaves (seam side down) in prepped pans; lightly dust loaves with flour. Cover pans with tea towels and set aside again about 40-60 minutes until risen. Dough should spring back when poked gently, when it's ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake loaves 35-40 minutes, until golden brown, and internal temperature of loaf reaches 200 degrees.
- Cool about 15 minutes before removing from pans and complete cooling on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
** Want to share this recipe to your favorite social media site? Use the share button at the top or bottom of this post to share to Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter! **