Slow Cooker Potato-Bacon Soup
It's March and we're celebrating Comfort Foods at AllRecipes! As part of the Allstars program, I had the chance to join in the fun with picking a couple recipes from the Comfort Foods collection to make and share this month. Take a look - cozy casseroles, warm soups, pot pies, gravy, quiche... the list goes on! Go-to dishes when it's cool outside, or you're just looking for quick and comforting.
This soup 100% fits the bill - it is so thick and creamy, chock full of gooey cheese, tender potatoes, and chewy bacon. It is literally comfort in a bowl! We will absolutely use this one again. Just a handful of ingredients, and the crock pot does all the work. Yumm!
Slow Cooker Potato-Bacon Soup from meyer on AllRecipes
9 slices bacon
1 onion, finely diced
7 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 cups vegetable broth
2 cups half-and-half
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 ¼ cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain bacon slices on paper towels; reserve drippings in the pan. Crumble 6 strips of bacon, saving 3 for garnish.
- Heat bacon drippings over medium-high heat. Cook onion in the hot drippings until soft, about 5-8 minutes.
- Transfer potatoes, crumbled bacon, onions, and garlic powder to a slow cooker. Pour broth over the top. Cook on Low until potatoes are tender, about 6 hours.
- Whisk half-and-half and flour together in a bowl until smooth. Add to the slow cooker and whisk to mash up some of the potatoes. Stir in 3 cups of cheese and mix until cheese is melted and fully incorporated. Cook until thickened.
- Crumble remaining bacon. Ladle soup into bowls, and top with a portion of the remaining cheese, crumbled bacon, and chives (if desired) before serving.
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)