Cheesy Baked Tacos
We had some crispy taco shells in the pantry and I was debating what to do with them. We don't often use crispy taco shells on taco night, they can be slow to fill one by one. So what better way to make sure everyone can eat at the same time but pre-fill and bake them to melt the cheese! Then everyone can grab 2 or 3, with their favorite toppings, and enjoy all together!
I love this hearty, filling taco meat - crammed with all of our favorites. Great flavor, mushrooms, and olives and all that melty cheese on top and bottom. It just needed some sour cream and shredded lettuce and we were ready to eat!
Cheesy Baked Tacos adapted from Spend with Pennies
1 pound ground lean beef
1 package taco seasoning
1 medium onion, diced
1 4-oz can mushrooms, drained
1 cup salsa
1 cup sliced olives
12-14 crisp taco shells
1 - 1 1/2 cups cheddar or jack cheese, divided
Toppings as desired: shredded lettuce, diced tomato, sour cream, avocado, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay out taco shells in a 9x13 dish as best you can with them standing upright.
- In a large skillet, over medium to medium high heat, cook the ground beef with the diced onion until tender and beef is cooked through, season lightly with salt and pepper about 8-10 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms, salsa, taco seasoning, and olives. Stir gently to combine. Allow to simmer until most excess liquid has simmered off to help prevent soggy baked taco shells.
- Sprinkle a little bit of cheese in the bottom of each shell as a protective layer from the meat. Add meat to fill tacos, another sprinkle of cheese on top, and bake in the preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Top with preferred toppings: shredded lettuce, diced tomato, a little bit of sour cream, diced avocado, etc.