#thecakeslicebakers ~ Citrus Poppy Seed Cake
The Cake Slice Bakers also have a new Facebook group called The Cake Slice Bakers and Friends. This group is perfect for those who do not have a blog but want to join in the fun and bake through this book.
Pecan and Burnt Honey Cake
Citrus Poppy Seed Cake adapted from The New Way To Cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp lemon zest, dried (zest from 2 lemons if fresh)
1 tsp orange zest, dried (zest from 1 orange if fresh)
3/4 cup plus 1 TBS butter, softened to room temperature
2 TBS sour cream
2 TBS poppy seeds
For the glaze
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp lemon juice
~ 1/4 cup orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 2-pound loaf pan with baker's spray.
- Combine the flour and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the sugar with the softened butter and lemon and orange zests. Blend on medium to high speed until light and creamy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, blending well between additions, scraping down sides as needed. Blend in the sour cream.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet, finish mixing by hand (do not overmix). Stir in the poppy seeds with a spatula.
- Spoon the cake batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Combine your glaze ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Poke holes all over the cake with a toothpick or skewer and pour the glaze over the warm cake, allowing it to soak all the way in before you remove cake from the pan. (I allowed mine to sit overnight before removing from the pan).
- Slice and serve!