Honey Skillet Cornbread for #BreadBakers
Welcome to #BreadBakers! We are a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
For the month of June, Stacy from Food Lust People Love invited us to make "corny" bread! She said "This can be a yeast or quick bread, made in any pan or shape. Sweet or savory. It should contain corn as a major element, actual corn (fresh, frozen or freeze-dried; yellow, white or purple) - OR cornmeal/polenta. Or all of the above. Let's get corny!"
This was such a DELICIOUS tender cornbread! It gets a gorgeous crust from the hot skillet, and the inside is moist, tender, lightly sweet, and studded with bites of corn. It's pretty much the perfect corn bread. Eat it like a wedge of cake, drizzled with honey, alongside your favorite chili, at 2 in the morning... I won't tell!
Come see all our "corny" dishes that we're sharing with you today:
Honey Skillet Cornbread
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup honey
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup canned corn
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and pull out a 10-inch cast iron skillet. Set on the stove until ready to use.
- Melt the butter in a medium sized bowl, and allow to cool briefly before whisking in the honey, egg, and buttermilk. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl: cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Blend the wet ingredients into the dry, just until combined, and then stir in the canned corn.
- Turn a burner on and get the cast iron skillet hot, for about a minute.
- Spray the skillet with some non-stick cooking spray to coat lightly. Scrape the batter into the hot skillet and place the skillet into the hot oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing into wedges and serving.
** Want to share this recipe to your favorite social media site? Use the share button at the top or bottom of this post to share to Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter! **
Setting an alarm for 2am to make this! I love all cornbread, sweet or savory, and this just looks wonderful!ReplyDelete
I could just eat only this for dinner! It looks amazing.ReplyDelete
Beautiful! I really need to try cornbread in a skillet, I have them after all!ReplyDelete
I have tried baking cornbread in skillet it taste great, your recipe is perfect and looks deliciousReplyDelete
How authentic and beautiful this looks!ReplyDelete
Love that cornbread skillet bread, looks too good!ReplyDelete
Cornbread with honey is the BEST! I love this recipe, it is similar to mine and I've definitely done similar!ReplyDelete
Rebakah your skillet bread looks delish. The browned edges and lovely texture is just awesome. I am sure it must have been Yum!ReplyDelete