Baked Scotch Eggs for #FoodieExtravaganza
Foodie Extravaganza is where we celebrate obscure food holidays by cooking and baking together with the same ingredient or theme each month.
Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you're a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board!
Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories said: "June 3 is National Egg Day. Make a dish that prominently features eggs, i.e. quiches, deviled eggs, meringues, egg salad, scrambled eggs, omelettes, etc."
So I've never had a scotch egg before - I'd heard of them of course, but was always curious about what they tasted like, and how you're supposed to eat them. I did some googling (as usual) and it appears they're kind of pub food / snack food! And oh my gosh are they GOOD! They're often fried, but this baked version works BEAUTIFULLY and so much less grease / mess. I couldn't eat more than one, with all that sausage, but it was such a fun and unique treat to make and share with my family! You can dip these in your favorite sauce - a mustard or ketchup might work well - if you'd like. But if you're just trying them out, I think they're delicious all by themselves. I would love to make and share a batch of these at the next get together I go to, they're great finger food to put out and share!
- Baked Scotch Eggs from Making Miracles
- Balaleet (Emirati Sweet Vermicelli and Egg Omelet) from Tara's Multicultural Table
- Country Biscuit Breakfast (Copycat) from Palatable Pastime
- Pathare Prabhu Style Egg Drop Curry from Sneha's Recipe
- Smoky Honey Chili & Paprika Deviled Eggs / Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice /
- Sourdough Waffles and Eggs from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Soy Braised Pork with Eggs from Food Lust People Love
- Spanish Tortilla from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Umami Egg Salad on Homemade Sourdough from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Baked Scotch Eggs from AllRecipes
1 (8-ounce) package bulk pork sausage
4 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled
1 large egg
½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil, and place a wire rack over the foil.
- In one bowl beat a large egg for the egg wash. In another bowl place the bread crumbs.
- Divide the 8 ounces of sausage into 2 oz patties, pressed very flat. Place a hard boiled egg in the center and wrap gently with the sausage, working gently until it's evenly and completely sealed all the way around the egg.
- Roll the sausage in the egg wash, then roll completely in bread crumbs. Place finished eggs on the wire rack.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes in the preheated oven until sausage is fully cooked through.
- Serve warm.
** Want to share this recipe to your favorite social media site? Use the share button at the top or bottom of this post to share to Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter! **