Turkey Sloppy Joes


I apologize that none of these pictures are very good - but this recipe is very yummy and that is why there are no good pictures! We ate this and the leftovers in a short amount of time, and it was always dark when we were eating so I didn't have any good light to shoot them with. This is another recipe I found at Lauren's blog Sew You Think You Can Cook. It's a fantastic recipe that you can easily adjust to your personal tastes and preferences. I can't even tell you for sure the changes I made because I taste tested and added some more ketchup, mustard, and some salt and pepper to taste.

I love this for a quick, filling, and yummy work night meal! Hot sandwiches always go over well at our house, and this sloppy joe mix was enjoyed by all. I like that it uses ground turkey instead of ground beef - it changes up the "normal" flavor and texture profile you might be used to with ground beef, and is a very nice and welcome change. I will definitely keep this one handy and imagine I know exactly what we'll be making the next time ground turkey finds its way into the refrigerator! (My teenager was very disappointed when he learned the leftovers of this one were gone!)


Turkey Sloppy Joes slightly adapted from Sew You Think You Can Cook

Ingredients
1 TBS olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 tsp minced garlic
1 lb ground turkey
salt and pepper, to taste
2 TBS tomato paste
1/4 cup ketchup
1 TBS Dijon mustard
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
Sliced cheese (optional)
Hamburger buns

Directions
  1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and turkey, season the mixture with salt and pepper, cook for 10 - 15 minutes or until onion is tender (add additional oil if needed to prevent mixture from sticking).
  2. Stir in tomato paste, ketchup, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire, red wine vinegar, and tomato sauce. Simmer, covered, for 10 - 15 minutes; taste test and adjust seasonings as desired.
  3. Serve on hamburger buns with a slice of cheese (if desired). Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts