Sweet Potato Casserole



This is one of the yummy recipes I made during the month of November when I was assigned to Sew You Think You Can Cook for Secret Recipe Club. It was a great addition to our meal - and my two boys who are big sweet potato casserole fans gave this one a thumbs up! The topping adds a nice texture and extra sweet burst to the creamy potato filling. We enjoyed this with the Melt In Your Mouth Meatloaf recipe. Next time I will save this one and serve it with a special Holiday Meal - it is one of those family recipes that becomes requested every Christmas or every Thanksgiving because it is a rich, special treat to share and enjoy. I will probably fix this one again when we have our own Christmas dinner at home - I already have the ham in the freezer, and have to start planning out the side dishes to accompany it!

I can't believe it is time to start really planning Christmas... we're talking 2 weeks at this point... where has this year gone?! It has been such a full and busy year - so many things to be grateful for and I am looking forward to 2015 with joy and anticipation for all that is to come.

Papa’s Sweet Potato Casserole from Lauren at Sew You Think You Can Cook

Ingredients
3-4 sweet potatoes
1/2 – 3/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 stick butter, melted, divided use
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
chopped pecans (optional)

Directions
  1. Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, or until soft.
  2. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
  3. Allow the potatoes to cool, and then remove their skins.
  4. In a food processor or blender, puree sweet potatoes with heavy cream (you may need to do this in batches).
  5. In a 2-quart baking dish (you can use a larger dish depending on the volume of your pureed sweet potatoes), combine potatoes, 1 stick (1/2 cup) melted butter, sugar, vanilla, spices, and eggs. 
  6. In a medium sized bowl make the topping by combine brown sugar, flour, and 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) melted butter. If using pecans add to this mixture as well. 
  7. Cover casserole with topping and bake 20-30 minutes in the preheated oven.





Comments

  1. Hmmmmm I am serving ham for our Santa party/Mom's Birthday. This may be a good side to include.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will go very well with ham - and sweet potato casserole always seems to be a favorite. :) I am not a huge sweet potato fan, but this is one way I do usually like it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts