Mango Chicken #SundayFunday
Welcome to #SundayFunday! Wendy from A Day In The Life on The Farm invited fellow bloggers to kick back, relax, and share something tasty and fun each weekend. "Sunday should be a Family Funday. Please join us in sharing recipes that will help you to enjoy your Sunday." If you're a blogger interested in joining us, just visit our Facebook group and request to join!
This week, Mayuri from Mayuri's Jikoni invited us to share a dish with Mango! She said: "Use the King of Fruits, MANGO - ripe or raw to prepare a dish of your choice."
Get hungry - visit all of our mango-inspired dishes!
- Aam Panna with Jaggery (Raw Green Mango Summer Drink) by Cook with Renu
- Dragonfruit, Mango, Jicama, & Corn Salad Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Grilled Steaks with Mango Chimichurri by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Homemade Aam Roti/Mango Papad by Sneha's Recipe
- Mangonada by Palatable Pastime
- Mango Chicken by Making Miracles
- Mango Falooda by Mayuri's Jikoni
- Mango Margarita by Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Spicy Mango Salsa by Food Lust People Love
- Stir-Fry Mango Ginger Chicken by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- White Chocolate Mango Mascarpone Mille Crepe Cake by Pandemonium Noshery
This is an easy and delicious recipe! It's super convenient if you keep mango in the freezer like I often do. I like to keep mixed fruit in the freezer for smoothies and pulling out a handful of mango for this recipe worked well. The tender bell peppers and onions along with the well seasoned sauce makes a great meal over a bed of rice, or mixed with some cooked noodles if you prefer. It's an easy dinner, or a great "meal prep" dish, make ahead of time, and heat and eat later.
1 - 2 TBS olive oil
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1 green bell pepper cored, seeded and thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper cored, seeded and thinly sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 TBS minced garlic
2/3 cup chicken broth
1 tsp ground ginger
2 TBS sugar
3 TBS soy sauce
2 TBS rice vinegar
1 TBS cornstarch
1 to 1 1/2 cups fresh mango chunks (or thawed if from frozen)
- Heat about 1/2 - 1 TBS olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Sear the chicken pieces on all sides until golden brown and cooked through, season the meat lightly with salt and pepper while cooking.
- Scrape the chicken out into a bowl, and set aside.
- Add an additional 1/2 - 1 TBS olive oil the skillet and sauté the vegetables (both bell peppers, and onion) until caramelized and tender (about 8 minutes), stirring regularly and seasoning lightly with salt and pepper. When the vegetables are tender, add in the minced garlic and stir until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 more minute.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl combine the sauce ingredients: chicken broth, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and cornstarch. Whisk briskly until well combined.
- Pour the cooked chicken back in with the vegetables, including any accumulated juices.
- Pour in the sauce, whisking again briefly before pouring out so the sugar / cornstarch are well incorporated. Add in the mango pieces. Gently stir and bring the sauce to a low simmer, cooking for a couple minutes until thickened.
- Taste, and adjust the seasonings to your preference before serving over rice or noodles.
Recipe adapted from Dinner at the Zoo