Mussakhan (Roast Chicken With Sumac and Red Onions) #ImprovCooking
Welcome to #ImprovCookingChallenge. Find our group on Facebook if you're interested in joining in the fun; Nicole from Cookaholic Wife hosts our group!
Today we're sharing recipes with sumac and yogurt! Sumac was new for me - I had to order some up from Amazon and wasn't quite sure what to expect!
This was a deliciously easy chicken dish - I love that everything marinates together and you just dump and bake! The bright citrus flavor comes through and makes a wonderful warm sandwich filling!
Improv Cooking Challenge: June 2021
Sumac & Yogurt
- Iranian Beef Stew with Yogurt Sauce from Pandemonium Noshery
- Persian Kebab Kubideh from Palatable Pastime
- A Healthy Salad With Sumac Yogurt Dressing from Sneha's Recipe
- Garlic and Herb Marinated Chicken from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mediterranean Chicken Gyro from Cookaholic Wife
Mussakhan (Roast Chicken With Sumac and Red Onions)
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast or tenders
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 TBS extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1 ½ TBS sumac
1 TBS minced garlic
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Sea salt and ground black pepper
1 large red onion (about 1 pound), halved and thinly sliced
Naan or other flatbread, for serving (optional)
- Combine: lemon juice, olive oil, yogurt, sumac, minced garlic, cumin, allspice, cinnamon, and about 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper in a resealable container and add the chicken and sliced onions. Shake or stir to blend ingredients and coat the chicken at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees when ready to bake.
- Place chicken into a 2-quart baking dish and bake about 35-45 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve wrapped in flatbread, naan, or pita, etc. with additional yogurt and sumac if desired!
Recipe adapted from NY Times
Musakhen is one of my favorite food! I made it for my birthday most years. I love all your vibrant red onions! So pretty.ReplyDelete
Sumac is new for me too. I love how simple this is, but there's so many ways to serve it!ReplyDelete
I have made this dish and love the flavors, yours too look absolutely delicious and tempting!ReplyDelete
This is delicious. I love the flavor combo and would love to try a vegan version with your marinade.ReplyDelete