If you want a quick, pantry ingredients dessert that comes together in a snap, is easy to adapt and change up based on what you like and have around, then this is a perfect chocolate fix recipe to keep around! I discovered these last winter, and they disappeared very, very quickly around my house.
The fun thing about these brownies is every piece is different from the last, all depending on which candies end up where in the middle layer, and how thick they are, etc. Super delicious, rich, and satisfies the chocolate cravings.
You start with a simple chocolate cake mix, then go from there! You press half of the cake mix layer into a pan, then add in your favorite candy fillings before topping with the remaining brownie layer. I used a bunch of Heath milk chocolate toffee chips, white chocolate chips, walnuts, Hershey bar pieces, and M&Ms!
These are fudgy, tender, and full of chewy, creamy bites of candy. I really loved how these turned out - a quick and easy dessert, a nice after school treat, or lunchbox treat too!
Crazy Brownies from The Pioneer Woman
1 box Chocolate Cake Mix (18 - 20 ounce box)
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1 stick butter, melted
Approximately 1 to 1 1/2 cups assorted chopped nuts and candies - mix and match to your personal tastes and preferences (I used walnuts, M&Ms, toffee bits, Hershey bars, and white chocolate chips)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Powdered Sugar (to coat the top - if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x8 pan.
- Combine dry cake mix with evaporated milk and melted butter, stir gently until combined (don't over mix).
- Split the brownie mixture in half and press one half of the mixture into the prepared 8x8 pan.
- Sprinkle your filling ingredients evenly over the brownie layer (1 to 1 1/2 cups of your preferred nuts / candy mixture).
- Take the remaining half of the brownie mixture and press it out on a piece of parchment paper, or silpat until it is approximately the shape and size of the 8x8 pan. Invert the parchment paper or silpat over the pan and gently remove the brownie layer so it is on top of the candy / nut mixture. Press lightly if needed to insure it covers all of the filling ingredients.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Allow to fully cool; sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired. Slice, and serve.