Classico Saucy Shepherd's Pie
This was a quick and tasty weeknight dinner that we all enjoyed - easy to tweak to your personal preferences! The use of Classico sauce makes this a super fast shepherd's pie dish!
We didn't season the meat when we made our dish, and that was a mistake. It was too bland for us and we had to salt and pepper and add cheese after the fact. It would have been much better if I'd seasoned the meat / sauce mixture before it was baked. I think that was one of those nights when Kent and Kenneth were manning the kitchen while I was getting Lindsey ready for bed so I will blame it completely on them. So there.
Saucy Shepherd's Pie from MrsAltmiller on AllRecipes
6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 carrots, peeled and diced into small rounds
1/4 cup milk
2 TBS butter
salt and pepper, to taste
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
15-oz container Classico Tomato and Basil sauce
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (more to taste)
Optional: add additional cooked vegetables to suit your tastes such as peas, mushrooms, green beans, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add potatoes and simmer 15 - 20 minutes until tender. Simultaneously, boil carrots in a separate smaller pot also for about 15 minutes, or until tender.
- When potatoes are tender, drain the water off and return potatoes to the pot. Add milk and 2 TBS butter, mash and add salt and pepper to taste. Gently mix in 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- While vegetables are cooking, combine ground beef and diced onion in a large nonstick skillet and cook over medium to medium-high heat for 15 minutes, or until onion is tender and ground beef is cooked through. Drain off excess fat. Season the meat mixture with salt and pepper to taste (you could also add garlic and / or onion powder to taste). Stir in the Classico Tomato Basil Sauce.
- Distribute the carrots evenly in the bottom of an ungreased pie plate (if you are using any other vegetables, add them along with the carrots). Spread the saucy beef mixture over the vegetables and top that with the cheesy mashed potatoes. For additional cheesiness, sprinkle 1/4 - 1/2 cup additional shredded cheese over the top of the potato layer.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly, and lightly browned.
|Can't believe my sunshine girl is just days away from her 1st birthday!|
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)