7w3d ~ Cruising Right Along!

On Wednesday we had a little more bleeding. It wasn't as much or as scary as the first time, and knowing it is hopefully most of the SCH draining is somewhat reassuring - I would much rather the blood come out than stay in there and possibly bother the babies! It didn't last long at all and had already turned to old blood before I left the office that day. Bleeding still stinks though, it is scary to see and makes me all the more ready for our ultrasound next Thursday to peek in and see how the Chadifers are doing!

My cold is finally easing up some, though I am still coughing gunk up throughout the day. It's old and I'm over it! This has been hanging on for a week now and needs to GO AWAY. I have no plans this weekend and am really going to try to take it easy and hope resting and lots of fluids are what I need to kick this thing to the curb! Depending on how I feel on Sunday I might take Kent to a movie, I know we haven't done anything very "exciting" lately and he's been a good sport and a good helper to me and I am very thankful for that!

I had fixed spaghetti on Wednesday and we had leftover sauce to warm up for dinner last night. I made some pasta and green beans and heated the sauce and had eaten about 5 bites of dinner before I just couldn't stand it anymore... It just made my whole stomach turn over and amped up the queasiness multiple notches. I set it aside and waited and hoped it would stop. The queasiness didn't really let up but eventually I decided some crackers sounded good and had a few handfuls of goldfish crackers instead... not exactly a dinner of champions, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

I have started tracking my food intake through BabyFit most days, to get a feel for how much protein I'm eating and tracking other nutrients like calcium as well. It helps me get a sense for where I'm at each day and what foods are packing the most "bang" for their "buck" so I can try to make sure to get in everything these two will need to grow healthy and strong in the coming months. I'm reading labels a lot more carefully now too - the first thing I look at is protein content! I've been doing tons of internet research for menu ideas, good protein sources, etc. I actually haven't found a great website or resource online yet that has menu suggestions for a twin pregnancy, but did find the Brewer's Diet which I'd heard of before. It gives you guidelines but not really a meal plan or actual meal suggestions. It's still a good resource though. I have already ordered "When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads: Proven Guidelines for a Healthy Multiple Pregnancy" by Tamara Eberlein and Barbara Luke and am looking forward to that arriving so I can look through and get some guidance from a resource many have recommended.

I did find this sample menu:

Eating for Three: Sample Daily Menu for Twin Pregnancy


Breakfast
4 oz. orange or grapfruit juice
2 eggs
2 slices whole grain bread or muffins
butter
8 oz. "super milk" (whole milk with 1 cup powdered nonfat milk--not protein powder--mixed in to give extra protein)


Morning Snack--you may feel like eating every couple of hours
2 oz. Swiss cheese
whole grain crackers
medium apple, peach, or other fresh fruit
4 oz. tomato juice or real lemonade


Lunch
4 oz. hamburger with lettuce, tomato, and mayonaise
whole grain roll or 2 slices whole grain bread
8 oz. "super milk"
1/2 cup potato salad or beans
1 cup vegetable soup


Mid-afternoon Snack
1/2 cup cottage cheese in a raw pepper or tomato
1 cup chicken or beef broth
whole grain croutons or bread sticks


Dinner
8 oz. "super milk"
1/2 cup fruit cocktail (variety of fresh, frozen, or canned fruits)
6 oz. chicken (two breasts, three legs)
1 cup brown rice (cooked in chicken broth rather than water to absorb extra protein)
1 cup green salad with dressing
butter
1/2 cup broccoli or spinach
1/2 cup carrots or squash

Evening Snack
1 cup pudding (made with "super milk") or egg custard
1/4 cup salted nuts

Middle-of-the-night Snack (when you have to get up to go to the bathroom)
choice of: milk, cheese, hard-boiled egg, yogurt, 2 oz. meat, nuts, peanut butter on whole wheat toast (focus: extra protein)

Salt to Taste, Drink to Thirst: your requirements are even greater because of the extra baby you're growing!

Goal: a minimum of 30g additional protein (130 g total) and 500 extra calories above the basic pregnancy diet, plus all other vitamins and minerals; these needs could be met simply by adding a quart of milk a day to the basic Brewer Diet. 
This isn't really all that different than the suggestions I see on BabyFit which I used a lot last pregnancy for meal planning and snack planning which is good. In general these are the types of things I try to eat and snack on anyway. I made a "trail mix" the other day with sunflower seeds, dried cherries and cashews and brought that to work for a quick snack, and keep Luna bars around for the days I'm having a hard time eating and need some yummy protein and nutrients. I love cottage cheese with mandarin oranges and picked up some more cottage cheese up at the grocery store yesterday. Peanut butter and apples has been a go to snack the past week or so and I'm stocked up on milk, yogurt and cheese sticks too. I was surprised that 1 80-calorie mozzarella cheese stick has I think it was 8 grams of protein in it! So, mainly I have to listen to my body and eat when I'm hungry and just make sure that what I'm eating is valuable and try to keep good food options around me all the time. I think I need to keep some almonds or something in my room - I woke up at like 2 in the morning and my stomach was growling last night! I have already learned I HAVE to eat something right before I go to bed (which is usually around 9:30); if I don't I will have a hard time falling asleep because I'll be thinking about eating while my stomach starts to growl. I have been opting for an apple or peanut butter toast the past couple nights. I don't usually eat that many apples, I usually prefer bananas or oranges or strawberries, but crunchy red apples have been on my "eat every day list" the past week or so!
 
In any event, as you can see lots of thought going into food this week! :) I am very glad it's Friday and ready for a quiet weekend home with my boy and the puppies. Kenneth said he might try to come home next weekend and I'm so excited! I hope he does! It's hard to believe it's already been over a month since he left for Kansas City. So much has happened since then!

Comments

  1. Ok, now I'm hungry !! :) but I want frozen yogurt from Pinkberry or Yoforia...yummmmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts