Southern Slow Cooker Green Beans and Zucchini


I love, love dishes like this - homey, comforting, EASY side dishes that you can "set and forget". There's something about slow cooking the veggies with that bacon that really infuses amazing smoky bacon flavor all throughout the tender vegetables.

I loved the combination of the zucchini with the green beans - I am always looking for new and easy ways to cook both of these vegetables, as we often have them on hand. They're definitely on my "go-to" veggie purchase list when I order groceries!


I love how versatile both zucchini and green beans are, but I think this may be the first time I put them together. It definitely won't be the last - we really enjoyed this combination! The bacon definitely pulls it all together - this would work well with some ham in place of the bacon too!


Southern Slow Cooker Green Beans and Zucchini

Ingredients
1 lb green beans, ends trimmed
2 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups vegetable broth
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 small onion, finely diced
2 lbs zucchini, ends trimmed and diced into large chunks

Directions
  1. Place green beans, salt, broth, half of the crumbled bacon, and diced onion in a crock pot on high heat for 2 hours. Stir and add in the zucchini and cook another 1 1/2 - 2 additional hours on high heat, until vegetables are tender. Taste, and adjust seasonings if needed.
  2. Drain vegetables from liquid, and serve with remaining crumbled bacon.

Recipe adapted from Southern Bite

Comments

Popular Posts