Slow Cooker Gumbo


This was such a wonderfully hearty and delicious meal we enjoyed recently! It's chock full of vegetables, meats, warming spices, and just the right amount of sauce. And OH it's super EASY because you make this almost entirely in the crock pot!


I adore recipes like this!! I am always happy to throw everything in a pot and ignore it while it cooks. I am a big fan of my crock pot and my instant pot, and use them weekly at least in this house. And you can't beat the way your kitchen smells when dishes like this are simmering away for hours! It's kind of a beautiful thing. I've still never been to New Orleans, I really, really want to visit and just eat my way through that incredible city!

Do you love okra? I LOVE okra. We had picked some up at our local farmer's market and it needed a purpose, which was what inspired me to make this dish - and now I definitely need to pick up some more so I can be inspired to make spicy flavorful hearty gumbo again soon!


Slow Cooker Gumbo

Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast (diced in bite sized pieces)
1 28-ounce can tomato sauce
2 pints grape tomatoes, quartered
1 large onion, diced
1 sprig rosemary (or about 2 tsp dried rosemary in an herb infuser)
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
14-ounces smoked sausage cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 cups sliced fresh okra
2 cups diced celery
2 cups diced green bell peppers (I used 1 large)
2 Tablespoons minced garlic (jarred)
1 teaspoon dry thyme
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons creole seasoning
1 Tablespoon gumbo file

Directions
  1. Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Brown the chicken on both sides, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Add browned chicken (and any accumulated juices), along with all other ingredients (except the Gumbo File) to a slow cooker. 
  2. Turn the crock pot on low, and cook 8-10 hours, until ingredients are tender. 
  3. Add in the gumbo file. Stir to blend. Taste, and adjust seasonings as needed.
  4. Serve over hot cooked rice.
Recipe adapted from Healthy Seasonal Recipes

** Want to share this recipe to your favorite social media site? Use the share button at the top or bottom of this post to share to Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter! **

Comments

Popular Posts