Secret Recipe Club: Nutella Coffee Cake


For November's Secret Recipe Club I was assigned to Lauren from Sew You Think You Can Cook, which is awesome because Lauren had my blog for October! I was also allowed the chance to get to know Lauren a little better throughout #10DaysofTailgate (a blogging tailgating party) recently, where Lauren shared dishes such as Boston Lager Cupcakes, Chile Con Queso, and Maize and Blue Chicken Salad. Lauren lives in Ohio and is an aerospace engineer (want to know more about what that means? I did!) - check out Lauren's About Me page to see adorable pictures of her and her family (spoiler alert: super cute baby arrived just a few months ago!) and a description of what Sew You Think You Can Cook is all about. Lauren describes her blog as "predominately a food blog but will occasionally take on the guise of a crafting blog, a party blog, and a travel blog." Find Lauren on Facebook here. I have to say that I also am completely in love with the super sweet posts Lauren shares as tributes to family members on their special days, like her FIL's birthday, or MIL's birthday - photo collages and yummy food! So sweet!

As I started browsing through Lauren's blog, I earmarked way too many recipes (as usual) including: Nutella Coffee Cake, Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese, Black Bean Soup, Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad, Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas, Brown Sugar Honey Mustard Glazed Salmon, Turkey Sloppy Joes, Buttermilk Ranch Potatoes, Sweet Potato Casserole, Cookies and Creme Milkshake, Lemon Meringue Pie, S'Mores Brownies... Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert... DONE! :) Seriously too hard to pick this month!

I hope you will take a moment to visit the  Secret Recipe Club if you've never heard of it before - it is a wonderful group of bloggers who are given a "secret" assignment of another member's blog each month and our goal is to pick ANYTHING from their blog to make and post about on our designated reveal day (and if you are Sally from Bewitching Kitchen or Dorothy from Shockingly Delicious your goal is to have your assignment selected, made, photographed, and blogged about within 15 minutes of receiving your e-mail with your assigned blog - have I mentioned that my SRC group is the best group ever?)! I have been a part of SRC for quite awhile now (see my first post from 2/25/2013 here) and LOVE the opportunity to get to know another blogger a little better each month by spending time perusing their blog, reading through their recipes and posts, and finding something perfect for my family from what they've shared.

I ended up making a bunch of recipes from Lauren's blog this past month, including the Black Bean Soup with Garlic Grilled Cheese dippers, the salmon and sweet potato casserole recipes, the Cookies and Creme Milkshake (more than once!), and the Oriental Chicken Salad (which I almost chose to share with you today)! However, what I finally decided on to feature today is the Nutella Coffee Cake - and the main reason I picked this one of them all is because it is one of the only recipes I got a few decent pictures of! I made a couple of the recipes shortly after we'd moved into our new house (which was on October 24th) and my camera battery died a few days after relocating and we couldn't find my charger anywhere amidst the sea of boxes - so I took crappy cell phone pictures. I still want to share all of those recipes here, but will save them for another day, and maybe when I can make them again and do the recipes justice with semi-decent pictures instead of dark and blurry cell phone pictures... maybe. :)

Also - if you want a chance to enter the giveaway I'm currently hosting, check it out:
Old Factory Candle Trio: http://rebekahrose.blogspot.com/2014/11/old-factory-candle-gift-set-giveaway.html


Nutella Coffee Cake slightly adapted from Sew You Think You Can Cook

Ingredients for topping:
3/4 cup flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
5 TBS butter, at room temperature
2 TBS cocoa powder
1/2 cup rolled oats

Ingredients for cake:
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup yogurt
6-8 TBS Nutella

Directions
  1. Make the topping: whisk together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, cocoa, oats and and salt. Use a pastry cutter and blend the butter in until butter pieces are pea sized.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8x8 baking pan.
  3. In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients for the cake: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  4. In a the bowl of a stand mixer combine the butter and sugar and blend until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time and then add the vanilla and yogurt.
  5. Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, mixing only until combined.
  6. Place half of the cake batter into the prepared 8x8 pan. Dot with the Nutella spread (try to spread it out as much as possible, so it is evenly distributed). Pour half of the topping mixture from step one over the Nutella. Pour on the rest of the cake batter and spread until it covers the filling, then top with the remaining topping mixture.
  7. Bake for 1 hour, or until a knife comes out cleanly.



Comments

  1. Thank you for the wonderful write up. And I'm so glad you enjoyed Sew You Think You Can Cook!
    This coffee cake is a huge hit in my house too, I even mix up the fillings. I like that you put some of the topping in the center! I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this recipe (and all the others too - we have enjoyed so many recipes from your blog this past month!!) :)

      Delete
  2. Ha! Thanks for telling the world how competitive Sally and I are! I'm glad you got decent pix of this coffee cake and thus it was your choice today. I need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Sally make group D so much FUN!!! <3

      Delete
  3. This coffee cake looks delish! Love that it has Nutella in it :) Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Lauren's Nutella Coffee Cake! Great pick this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, awesome that you tried so many recipes from your assignment!! This cake looks amazing!! Gotta love nutella!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at Nutella! I moved house recently so I know exactly what you mean with the sea of boxes. I'm impressed that you managed to make so many recipes. This looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness is this just a dreamy coffee cake! Nutella in a coffee cake is just heavenly sounding...and looking! Fantastic pick for SRC this month! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nutella is something I can eat by the spoonful, so I know for sure that I would LOVE this coffee cake. Excellent choice this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always looking for brunch items this time of year. These will make a great addition to the buffet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that sounds so delicious! How cool that you found so many recipes to try! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love coffee cake and well who doesn't love Nutella. This cake sounds amazing. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you cooked up a storm this month! I haven't baked a coffee cake in ages, but this recipe sounds like a weekend winner,,, this weekend for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anything with Nutella is a special treat, in my opinion.... great choice for your assignment this month!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Serious yums. I love a good coffee cake, and I adore Nutella, so this definitely makes the "must-make" list for me. Looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Making Miracles - I love to hear from my visitors, so please take a moment to say hello! :)

Popular Posts