Instant Pot Mushroom and Red Wine Sauced Short Ribs #MulticookerMonday
If you are a blogger looking to join our Multicooker Monday group, request to join our Facebook page, or reach out to Sue of Palatable Pastime! We look forward to cooking with you. Multicooker Monday is a friendly food blogging group where we get together on the third Monday of the month to post recipes for the multicooker: instant pot or pressure cooker, slow cooker, air fryer, sous vide or other cooking device with no theme; anything goes!
This is a rich and decadent meal - I have never really had the chance to try out short ribs until I ordered a whole steer last summer. I've been enjoying pulling them out a few at a time ever since the first time I made them (and devoured them). The Instant Pot makes short work of them - yielding tender, flavor infused meat. This dish is rich savory - and I love the touch of sweetness from the carrots. It's a very special meal, but so hands off thanks to the Instant Pot!
See all of our tasty #MulticookerMonday dishes we're sharing with you today!
- Air Fryer Lamb Chops with Roasted Carrots and Mustard Thyme Sauce from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Green Masala Meat Pulao - Pressure Cooker from Sneha's Recipe
- Instant Pot Mushroom and Red Wine Sauced Short Ribs from Making Miracles
- Instant Pot Slow Cooked Chipotle Corn Chowder from Magical Ingredients
- Mexican Style Rice (Instant Pot) from Palatable Pastime
- Slow Cooker Sunday Gravy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Instant Pot Mushroom and Red Wine Sauced Short Ribs
2 pounds bone in beef short ribs
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon minced garlic (jarred)
12 ounces baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
4 large carrots, peeled and diced into sticks or chunks
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 cups red wine
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
2 Tablespoons water
- Season ribs on both sides generously with salt and pepper. Heat oil in the instant pot, and sear the short ribs 2-3 minutes per side, in batches (don't overcrowd). Remove ribs as they're browned and set aside on a plate.
- Add additional oil if necessary and sauté the mushrooms and carrots about 5-6 minutes, just until they begin to get some color on them. Add the garlic, sauté 1 minute until fragrant. Add the tomato paste and sauté another minute.
- Pour in the red wine and balsamic vinegar and use a wooden spoon to carefully deglaze the pan. Cancel the sauté cycle.
- Nestle the seared ribs and any accumulated juices back in around the vegetables, sinking down into the liquid as much as possible.
- Set the pressure cooker for a 65 minute cycle. Allow to naturally release 15 minutes after cycle completes, before quick releasing any additional pressure.
- Use a slotted spoon to carefully remove most of the solids onto a serving platter or large bowl. Turn instant pot to sauté mode, to bring liquid to a bubble.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and water and whisk mixture into the sauce quickly until well combined. Sauce will thicken as it bubbles.
- Cancel sauté cycle. Serve the meat and vegetables over mashed potatoes (if desired) with a drizzle of the red wine sauce.
Recipe adapted from Life as a Strawberry