Hearty Ground Beef Chili


Every now and then you just need something warm and cozy! This is an easy stove-top chili recipe that's largely hands off and ready in no time. 

Do you love chili on a cool day? It reminds me of fall - but it's also perfect for when Georgia surprises you with a windy cool spring cold snap. I had to turn my heat on this morning. What?! Yes, I know it's snowing some places. But this is Georgia!!


I amped up the veggie content, so there's lots of diced onion, bell pepper, some celery, and plenty of tomatoes in this one. A sprinkling of cheddar or cheddar jack cheese and you're good to go! I baked up a tray of potatoes when I knew I was making chili, I wanted extra baked potatoes so I could make skillet potatoes for breakfast one day this week... yumm... I'm almost more excited about the breakfast potatoes than I am the chili... Almost... 


Hearty Ground Beef Chili

Ingredients
1 pound ground beef 
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (15.5 ounce) can light red beans, drained (I used pinto)
1 (15.5 ounce) can dark red beans, drained
1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
3 tablespoons chili powder, or to taste
2 teaspoons white vinegar
sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
shredded Cheddar cheese, or to taste

Directions
  1. Combine the ground beef, onion, celery, and green bell pepper in a soup pot over medium, to medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper (start with about 1/2 - 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper - you can adjust seasonings at the end).
  2. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8-10 minutes, until the beef is cooked through.
  3. Add in: diced tomatoes, beans, and chili powder. Stir gently to combine. Bring to a low simmer. Cover, and simmer for about 1 hour.
  4. Remove lid, stir in white vinegar. Taste, and adjust the seasonings to your personal preference.
  5. Serve with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese, if desired. (I like to serve chili over cooked rice, or baked potatoes).
Recipe adapted from Krysie on AllRecipes

Comments

Popular Posts